wheel offset - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wheel offset

I am not for sure what would look best on my 08 power stroke. I am looking at either -12 offset or -25. I want the wheels to stick out just a little bit from the fender well but not very far. Just wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations on what they think, or a picture of their truck for me to look at with those offsets. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Off set changes with width, therefore, without knowing the width, your question can't be accurately answered.

Back space, on the other hand, doesn't change with width.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madox1992 View Post
I am not for sure what would look best on my 08 power stroke. I am looking at either -12 offset or -25. I want the wheels to stick out just a little bit from the fender well but not very far. Just wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations on what they think, or a picture of their truck for me to look at with those offsets. Thanks!
I've been on this subject for weeks now and here is what I have learned.Depending on size of tires and lift will dictate how much backspacing you can run, I ran in to this when ordering my wheels. I knew the ones I wanted when I panned everything then I opted for a leveling system instead of a 4.5" lift. When I went to order wheels and tires I found out the wheels I want only come in a 4.5" bs (-12 offset). Without trimming I would rub with 35's so I chose another wheel with a 5"bs(0 offset).
I believe your stock wheel is like mine and is an 8" wide wheel with likely a 6" backspacing. If I understand it correctly and you stayed with an 8" wheel but switched to a 5" bs then it would move the wheel and tire out 1". By going to a 9" wheel I believe that would add another 1" to the outside.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madox1992 View Post
A -12 offset applies to everything from a 6.5" wide wheel to a 15" wheel wheel. A -25 applies to a 7.5" to 15" wide wheel. So, without knowing what width you are looking at, giving an accurate answer is impossible.

Big LAING originally posted this chart a few weeks ago and I found it VERY helpful.

Last edited by Karls03; 05-04-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
A -12 offset applies to everything from a 6.5" wide wheel to a 15" wheel wheel. A -25 applies to a 7.5" to 15" wide wheel. So, without knowing what width you are looking at, giving an accurate answer is impossible.

Big LAING originally posted this chart a few weeks ago and I found it VERY helpful.

Thanks for that chart. I did forget to mention Those numbers only applied to my wheel choice of 9" width
Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

The 05 and up need about a 6" backspace, given the listed choices for a 9 inch rim, I think the -12 offset would have the results that you are looking for. The -25 may push them out farther than you want.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The 05 and up need about a 6" backspace, given the listed choices for a 9 inch rim, I think the -12 offset would have the results that you are looking for. The -25 may push them out farther than you want.
I wanted to go with the -12 but because I went with the level kit I would have had to trim some based on advice from a few people with more experience than I have. So I decided on the 0 offset (5"bs). It may still be tight.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

A 33 should work without issue, I don't know about a 35. When I went 35s, I put on a 4" lift at the same time.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
-12 on my 9.5" wide 20's on a level kit and have to try to get it to rub with a 33" a/t.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Looks like you have already covered this thread Karl. I just stole the offset thing from Google images...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDpsd View Post
-12 on my 9.5" wide 20's on a level kit and have to try to get it to rub with a 33" a/t.
How wide are your tires? Those should be rubbing the leafs near full lock on 04 and older super duties. On 05+ trucks that wheel width and offset would be perfect IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
offset, tires, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.