Too Much Road noise! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Too Much Road noise!

Hello Everyone,
I bought a 06 F250 powerstroke diesel and the guy has a set of BFG Mud Terrain T/A's 35x12.5 R17's. I will never be off roading as I bought the truck to haul our concession trailer. The tread is probably 90%. What size/type/brand of tire should I replace them with? The truck has a 3" lift on it and I dont want it to look stupid with little tires :-) I am unsure if the speedometer is off, I guess I'll dust off the GPS to check. At the moment it's so loud I cant really have a conversation in it......So road noise is my #1 concern.
Any recommendations would be appreciated and I guess when the time is right I'll sell the tires I have now.
BTW, I will never drive in snow, we are down here in Galveston TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You might try checking out tirerack and discounttiredirect if you haven't already. At least you'll get an idea of what style of tire you'd like to stick with.

When I bought my '06 this past Feb it had the Hankook Dynapro ATM's on it and I like the look of them. It gives the truck an off-road aggressive look. And they really aren't loud at all for an A/T style tire.

I also happen to really like the Firestone Destination A/T tires. I ran them on my old Durango Hemi and they were very quiet, road well and were great in mild off-road situations (deep mud would probably do them in). However they were great in the snow (I know you said you'd never see any snow but you just never, ever know).

Then there are the Michelin LTX's. I don't know much about them other than what others have said and they all seem to like them a lot. But I'm not sure if they come in a 33", 34" or 35" size.

There are so many tire style choices that I would start out by looking at the various tire sites to see if you want an aggressive offroad, an all-terrain type or just a good highway tire. Figure that out then see what others have to say about the tires that fit in that type.

If fuel mileage is very important then I would stick with a less aggressive type of tire.

Hopefully others will chime in soon.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlchap View Post
Hello Everyone,
I bought a 06 F250 powerstroke diesel and the guy has a set of BFG Mud Terrain T/A's 35x12.5 R17's. I will never be off roading as I bought the truck to haul our concession trailer. The tread is probably 90%. What size/type/brand of tire should I replace them with? The truck has a 3" lift on it and I dont want it to look stupid with little tires :-) I am unsure if the speedometer is off, I guess I'll dust off the GPS to check. At the moment it's so loud I cant really have a conversation in it......So road noise is my #1 concern.
Any recommendations would be appreciated and I guess when the time is right I'll sell the tires I have now.
BTW, I will never drive in snow, we are down here in Galveston TX.
Have you had them balanced and rotated?

Mud terrains are louder then All terrains, but it shouldn't be unbearable... Leads me to believe you have other issues. I have Nitto Terra grapplers on my truck, and they are very quite. They have LT285/75R17 which is 34x11.5. I think they wouldn't look bad, plus being skinnier is better for MPG.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

bfg a/t best a/t tire out there very quite and when u buy them from discount tire 50k mile warranty on them .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.