37 in Toyo MT air pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
37 in Toyo MT air pressure

Finally bought some 37 in. Toyo MT`s mounted on 18x9 rims. The tire shop said that the sweet spot for these tires is between 35-40 lbs. pressure for the street and to never inflate over 50 lbs. which is the max for these tires. I did a search and seems like most here are at 50 or above, so trying to figure this out. Truck is a 2012, should i leave them at 37 lbs.? which is what they are at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Chalk line test it.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Chalk line test it.
So far 40 lbs. seems to be the magic number with the chalk line test.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

I think most are running 40 to 45 psi
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Learned this along time ago from Smokey Wren and works very well with tire wear and payload concerns. Take your max PSI rating and the max load rating listed on your side wall. I'll use my new tires (for example) which are 37x13.3x18's with a max load of 3520lbs @ 50psi. My truck empty with no load weighs 8500lbs. 5000 lbs. up front and 3500lbs. in the rear. I used my local Flying J scales to get exact numbers.

I divide 50psi into max load 3520 which equals 70.4lbs per square inch. So each 1lb of air yields 70.4lbs of support. I take my rear weight at 3500lbs and divide 70.4 into that number. The total is 49.71psi. I have two tires in the back, so i divide 49.71 by two which is 24.85 or lets just say 25psi in each of the rear tires. Moving on to the front which is supporting 5000lbs so I divide 70.4 into 5000lbs which equals 71.02 and then divide that by two for each front tire. That equals 35.5. So with the current weight of the truck I run 35psi up front and 25psi in the rears. The tires are perfectly flat with the chalk test and you get a good contact patch with the correct psi for supporting the truck's weight.

If you added weight to the front with a replacement bumper or weight to the rear with a load or trailer, you recalculate using the same formula with your new weights/load. I have used this on all my trucks for years and have had excellent, even wear with the best ride.

Just my two cents but works and is exact for supporting the loads you are carrying.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.