Chrome wheels to black - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chrome wheels to black

I went to my local powder coating shop to see if they could PC my chrome wheels and they gave me an honest answer that it probably would not work bc the wheels are chrome and they already show minor signs of pitting. But I still want to find a way of making my wheels black. I've noticed that some people have plasti dipped it but wonder if it will work on my application since I have pitting. I have also heard that plasti dip begins to fade and its hard to remove brake dust. Would a clear coat possibly help prevent that? Is there another option to make my chrome wheels black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad103 View Post
I went to my local powder coating shop to see if they could PC my chrome wheels and they gave me an honest answer that it probably would not work bc the wheels are chrome and they already show minor signs of pitting. But I still want to find a way of making my wheels black. I've noticed that some people have plasti dipped it but wonder if it will work on my application since I have pitting. I have also heard that plasti dip begins to fade and its hard to remove brake dust. Would a clear coat possibly help prevent that? Is there another option to make my chrome wheels black?
Just do the plasti dip! If it doesn't work, or you don't like it, your only out $30! It is reversible in minutes.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Aside from Plasti-Dip, the only way to make something stick to chrome is to scuff it like you would any other surface. Once you do that, hope you like it because you're committed.

What about blending the minor pitting prior to powder coating. Short of making a divot, I doubt it would be noticeable, esp if you went with a matte finish. So long as the pitting doesn't go through the chrome, I think blending would work fine.

However, if the pitting goes through the chrome, it's only a matter of time before moisture gets trapped between the chrome and aluminum completing the electron path to corrode the wheels. By the time you see the bubbling in the chrome, it's too late.

Last edited by Karls03; 03-07-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.