tire balancing beads? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
tire balancing beads?

I'm going to be mounting a set of wheels 16x10's with 305 70 16 bfg at ko's and was debating on balancing beads. They are surprisingly expensive. Anyone running these? Or should I just go with sticky weights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beads, sand, water, and any other alternative method for balancing tires are usually reserved for big a$$ tires that won't fit on the balancing machine. Seems like those old bubble balancers were phased out while they were still useful.

I'm sure someone will chime in otherwise, but for a set of 33s, I'd do some sticky weights. Actually, because I am more concerned about proper balance than looks, I liked the clip-on weights that went on both lips.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would'nt recommend them for 33's but if they are having trouble balancing them you probably will end up with about 100 bucks worth of dynabeads are they knobby MTs or just a AT or Street tire?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
if they are having trouble balancing them
..you either have a bent rim or need to go to another tire store. Tire stores don't always have the "best and brightest" running their equipment.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Had a buddy dropped off his three piece alloy rims ($$$$) down at a big name tire store to have new tires put on them. Two of the rims came back with huge dents from the changer machine that the nob was inexperianced at using. They tried to say the dents were already there when he dropped them off but luckly he took a few cell phone pics as the nob unloaded them. Pretty hard to say the dents happened somewhere else when your employee is standing in the picture.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Never ran them in my truck tires, but thats what alot of us Harley owners use in our tires.

Had custom spokes and custom made WW's and didnt want to run weights on the wheels and they worked GREAT. Really cheap too.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks guys I haven't had them mounted yet but if beads were the way to go I was going to order them. Looks like I can get what I need for about $50 in beads. If you guys don't think they are worth it for 33" bfg at's I'll just go with sticky weights. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
We've got a few dealers at work that use them in every tire they install, regardless of size. The Magnum balancing beads should be less than $10 a tire
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Re: tire balancing beads?

We just use stick on weights even up to 44's. The beads really only work well on real big tires and a lot of 22.5, 24.5 stuff. If you know what you're doing with a computer spin balancer, there should be no problem get a 33 to balance. (unless of course there is water in the tire or the wheel is bent.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Depends on wheels. I work in automotive shop. We use clip-on weights and stick-on weights. I have balanced 37's without problem. I have installed 46's and used Equal product and works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.