Anyone used Plasti Dip on their wheels? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone used Plasti Dip on their wheels?

If so how does it look and hold up? I was thinking about ordering the charcoal grey but not sure it's a serious, inexpensive alternative. I really don't have the funds or good enough reason to otherwise swap out my stock 17" chrome rims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Talking

Do a search I know it has been done on here just not sure where its at !!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The stuff is awesome. Only prep ya need is to make sure they are good and clean before ya spray. Light coats every 10-15 minutes will have them really nice and the more coats ya do the stronger it will be and when ya go to take it off it will come off in one piece rather than if it was thin it would keep tearing. To do your rims you could get them done with 2 cans but I would get 3 just in case. Look up some how to's on google. It will tell you how to touch it up if ya mess up and all that stuff.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I looked it up on Google including you tubes but wasn't sure how it holds up off road on a real work truck. It would be pretty embarrasing to be tooling around out on the ranch and the skin peels off my pretty, blacked out wheels like a bad sunburn, exposing stock chrome underneath.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You will be fine. My buddy uses a power washer on his and has no issues. And if you have an edge you see peeling up. You take some acetone on your finger and rub the spot that's peeling back down so its smooth. Then put on a fresh coat over the area and your good to go. The only issues I have had with peeling is doing the rocker panels like in the pics below. When your peeling the tape off sometimes it gets stuck and pulls it up since the plasti dip isn't fully hardened yet but with rims I wouldn't even tape them off. The over spray on the tires will peel off really easy once it dries. Then you won't have any issues with it coming up with the tape. Here is some of the work I have done. I also did my oval red in my sig pic on the 2010

After flares and rocker panel dipped

Before

After fender flares and rocker panel.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You have the same wheels on the gold 250 as I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.