13.5" tire on 7" wheel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
13.5" tire on 7" wheel

I know this isn't a good idea but I can't decide what tires I want. BFG has 345/75/16 which is 36x13.5x16. I like the oem 16" wheel and wondering if I have the right amount of pressure, will they wear correctly on 7" wide wheel? If not does anyone know of a 36x12.5x16 tire other than Super Swamper. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Superduty78 View Post
I know this isn't a good idea but I can't decide what tires I want. BFG has 345/75/16 which is 36x13.5x16. I like the oem 16" wheel and wondering if I have the right amount of pressure, will they wear correctly on 7" wide wheel? If not does anyone know of a 36x12.5x16 tire other than Super Swamper. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your right, it is not a good idea. 12.5" wide wheels usually require a 8.5" minimum wheel width. And you want to put 13.5" on 7" wide? They will not wear correctly, and you will be hard pressed to get any decent tire shop to mount them for you. Just my $.02
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM

LT265/75R16 is about the biggest tire (32") I can find for your wheels.

LT295/75R16 is 33.5" but 7.5" is the approved wheel width (from TOYO)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 AM

There is a lot of guys running 37x13.5x20 on oem wheels on the newer f250s which have a 8" wide wheel with no problems. IMO, my wheel being 4" smaller, I think it would help with the tires not riding on the middle, as long as the air pressure is correct.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Then there are a lot of idiots where you are. Don't be one of them.
They are not around where I live... I saw them on the internet, I figured there would be people like you that think you need a 10" wide wheel for a 12.5 tire, however not here to argue just trying to get people's opinion that know what they are talking about or have seen this setup. Many offroaders have this setup on their jeeps, just trying to figure out street use on a heavy duty truck.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
They are not around where I live... I saw them on the internet, I figured there would be people like you that think you need a 10" wide wheel for a 12.5 tire, however not here to argue just trying to get people's opinion that know what they are talking about or have seen this setup. Many offroaders have this setup on their jeeps, just trying to figure out street use on a heavy duty truck.
People like me think you need a 10" wheel for 13" tires... Thank you very much. For a 12.5" you can get away with 9" if that's all you got.

Here's a freebie: Don't follow the setups of off-road Jeeps do when trying to setup a Super Duty.

In the meantime, I'll wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 tires on 8" wide rims to post up about how awesome it is (or at least problem free.)
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM

A jeep weighs about half as much as a Super Duty does and with a 13.5" tire on a 7" rim I had bead locks and still had trouble with tires on my 99 Jeep Wrangle with a 4 cly. I wouldn't even attempt it with a 8000 lb truck. I run 285/75/16 on my stock rims and Dicount Tire fussed about the tires being too wide for rims. Biggest tires I've seen on stock rims is 315/75/16 and the guy had some fly-by-night shop mount them up and he said he'd never do it again tires wearing terribly even with them aired down. He told me he won't pull any thing with it because he's afraid of something happening to the tires. Get a different set of rims if you wanna go that big. It will be safer for you and the rest of us trying to drive out there.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
People like me think you need a 10" wheel for 13" tires... Thank you very much. For a 12.5" you can get away with 9" if that's all you got.

Here's a freebie: Don't follow the setups of off-road Jeeps do when trying to setup a Super Duty.

In the meantime, I'll wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 tires on 8" wide rims to post up about how awesome it is (or at least problem free.)
RUFFSTUFF, I was only comparing to same size wheels and tires the jeeps were running to look at how much it ballooned out the tires. You don't have to wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 on a 8" wide wheel because you can simply google it. If you can be a little open minded for a few seconds, you will see that none of them have problems. When I meant I appreciate help, I meant people who know what they are talking about, not ignorance and lack of experience.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckYankee View Post
A jeep weighs about half as much as a Super Duty does and with a 13.5" tire on a 7" rim I had bead locks and still had trouble with tires on my 99 Jeep Wrangle with a 4 cly. I wouldn't even attempt it with a 8000 lb truck. I run 285/75/16 on my stock rims and Dicount Tire fussed about the tires being too wide for rims. Biggest tires I've seen on stock rims is 315/75/16 and the guy had some fly-by-night shop mount them up and he said he'd never do it again tires wearing terribly even with them aired down. He told me he won't pull any thing with it because he's afraid of something happening to the tires. Get a different set of rims if you wanna go that big. It will be safer for you and the rest of us trying to drive out there.
Yeah, I have seen more than a few super-dutys with 315s and thought an extra inch wouldn't make to much of a difference with the correct amount of air. Thank you for your help though, I'm going with at least 315s.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
RUFFSTUFF, I was only comparing to same size wheels and tires the jeeps were running to look at how much it ballooned out the tires. You don't have to wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 on a 8" wide wheel because you can simply google it. If you can be a little open minded for a few seconds, you will see that none of them have problems. When I meant I appreciate help, I meant people who know what they are talking about, not ignorance and lack of experience.
Sorry, I didn't get my degree from Google Community College. If you really don't think i know what I'm talking about then put your money where your mouth is and get back to us when you have 37x13.50-20 (8") on your truck.

I didn't come here with questions, so unless ignorance and lack of experience is what you discerned from a self-assessment, you might want to reread your very first sentence in this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.