13.5" tire on 7" wheel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
13.5" tire on 7" wheel

I know this isn't a good idea but I can't decide what tires I want. BFG has 345/75/16 which is 36x13.5x16. I like the oem 16" wheel and wondering if I have the right amount of pressure, will they wear correctly on 7" wide wheel? If not does anyone know of a 36x12.5x16 tire other than Super Swamper. Any help is greatly appreciated.
99Superduty78 is offline  
post #2 of 26 Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BIG Laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 2,483
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Superduty78 View Post
I know this isn't a good idea but I can't decide what tires I want. BFG has 345/75/16 which is 36x13.5x16. I like the oem 16" wheel and wondering if I have the right amount of pressure, will they wear correctly on 7" wide wheel? If not does anyone know of a 36x12.5x16 tire other than Super Swamper. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your right, it is not a good idea. 12.5" wide wheels usually require a 8.5" minimum wheel width. And you want to put 13.5" on 7" wide? They will not wear correctly, and you will be hard pressed to get any decent tire shop to mount them for you. Just my $.02

2013 Lariat Eco-Boost F150 Super Crew 4x4 20K Miles. Max-Tow 3.73's, luxury package. Amp Steps, Raceline Raptor Wheels, Bak-Flip, and much more.


(Sold) 2011 Lariat 6.7 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4 60K MILES
Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/R18 on OEM's
BIG Laing is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BIG Laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 2,483
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LT265/75R16 is about the biggest tire (32") I can find for your wheels.

LT295/75R16 is 33.5" but 7.5" is the approved wheel width (from TOYO)

2013 Lariat Eco-Boost F150 Super Crew 4x4 20K Miles. Max-Tow 3.73's, luxury package. Amp Steps, Raceline Raptor Wheels, Bak-Flip, and much more.


(Sold) 2011 Lariat 6.7 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4 60K MILES
Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/R18 on OEM's
BIG Laing is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is a lot of guys running 37x13.5x20 on oem wheels on the newer f250s which have a 8" wide wheel with no problems. IMO, my wheel being 4" smaller, I think it would help with the tires not riding on the middle, as long as the air pressure is correct.
99Superduty78 is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Then there are a lot of idiots where you are. Don't be one of them.
They are not around where I live... I saw them on the internet, I figured there would be people like you that think you need a 10" wide wheel for a 12.5 tire, however not here to argue just trying to get people's opinion that know what they are talking about or have seen this setup. Many offroaders have this setup on their jeeps, just trying to figure out street use on a heavy duty truck.
99Superduty78 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DAMNED GEORGIA
Posts: 1,539
Thanks: 14
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Superduty78 View Post
They are not around where I live... I saw them on the internet, I figured there would be people like you that think you need a 10" wide wheel for a 12.5 tire, however not here to argue just trying to get people's opinion that know what they are talking about or have seen this setup. Many offroaders have this setup on their jeeps, just trying to figure out street use on a heavy duty truck.
People like me think you need a 10" wheel for 13" tires... Thank you very much. For a 12.5" you can get away with 9" if that's all you got.

Here's a freebie: Don't follow the setups of off-road Jeeps do when trying to setup a Super Duty.

In the meantime, I'll wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 tires on 8" wide rims to post up about how awesome it is (or at least problem free.)

2015 F350 DRW Platinum, SCT X4, EDGE CTS2, aFe PDS, AirLift 5000 Ultimate & Wireless Air, Lund LED Bull Bar, RC Grille bar, B&W 5th Wheel, Stark LED Lighting
2010 F250, H&S Mini Maxx, aFe PDS, Diamond Eye 4", Pro Comp Nitro 2.5", Bilstein 5100, SmittyBilt Bull Bar, Bushwacker Pocket Style, B&W Slider, Firestone Ride-Rite, Fuel Hostage 20x10, Pioneer/Kicker/JL Audio




RUFFSTUFF is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
RedneckYankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 346
Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A jeep weighs about half as much as a Super Duty does and with a 13.5" tire on a 7" rim I had bead locks and still had trouble with tires on my 99 Jeep Wrangle with a 4 cly. I wouldn't even attempt it with a 8000 lb truck. I run 285/75/16 on my stock rims and Dicount Tire fussed about the tires being too wide for rims. Biggest tires I've seen on stock rims is 315/75/16 and the guy had some fly-by-night shop mount them up and he said he'd never do it again tires wearing terribly even with them aired down. He told me he won't pull any thing with it because he's afraid of something happening to the tires. Get a different set of rims if you wanna go that big. It will be safer for you and the rest of us trying to drive out there.


David


"Hold my beer and watch this"

2005 Excurstion Limited RWD
Sinister EGR Deleate
SCT Tuner MPT Custom Tune Econ/Perf
Dash Boss Monitor
Blue Spring Upgrade
Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/16
Bilstien 4600 shocks
No Kitty
4" Straight piped
Studded
Updated Stand pipes and Dummy Plugs


1996 F250 XCLB 4x4
4" Ruff Country Lift
Ruff Country N2O Shocks
RedneckYankee is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
People like me think you need a 10" wheel for 13" tires... Thank you very much. For a 12.5" you can get away with 9" if that's all you got.

Here's a freebie: Don't follow the setups of off-road Jeeps do when trying to setup a Super Duty.

In the meantime, I'll wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 tires on 8" wide rims to post up about how awesome it is (or at least problem free.)
RUFFSTUFF, I was only comparing to same size wheels and tires the jeeps were running to look at how much it ballooned out the tires. You don't have to wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 on a 8" wide wheel because you can simply google it. If you can be a little open minded for a few seconds, you will see that none of them have problems. When I meant I appreciate help, I meant people who know what they are talking about, not ignorance and lack of experience.
99Superduty78 is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckYankee View Post
A jeep weighs about half as much as a Super Duty does and with a 13.5" tire on a 7" rim I had bead locks and still had trouble with tires on my 99 Jeep Wrangle with a 4 cly. I wouldn't even attempt it with a 8000 lb truck. I run 285/75/16 on my stock rims and Dicount Tire fussed about the tires being too wide for rims. Biggest tires I've seen on stock rims is 315/75/16 and the guy had some fly-by-night shop mount them up and he said he'd never do it again tires wearing terribly even with them aired down. He told me he won't pull any thing with it because he's afraid of something happening to the tires. Get a different set of rims if you wanna go that big. It will be safer for you and the rest of us trying to drive out there.
Yeah, I have seen more than a few super-dutys with 315s and thought an extra inch wouldn't make to much of a difference with the correct amount of air. Thank you for your help though, I'm going with at least 315s.
99Superduty78 is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DAMNED GEORGIA
Posts: 1,539
Thanks: 14
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Superduty78 View Post
RUFFSTUFF, I was only comparing to same size wheels and tires the jeeps were running to look at how much it ballooned out the tires. You don't have to wait patiently for someone with 37x13.50 on a 8" wide wheel because you can simply google it. If you can be a little open minded for a few seconds, you will see that none of them have problems. When I meant I appreciate help, I meant people who know what they are talking about, not ignorance and lack of experience.
Sorry, I didn't get my degree from Google Community College. If you really don't think i know what I'm talking about then put your money where your mouth is and get back to us when you have 37x13.50-20 (8") on your truck.

I didn't come here with questions, so unless ignorance and lack of experience is what you discerned from a self-assessment, you might want to reread your very first sentence in this post.

2015 F350 DRW Platinum, SCT X4, EDGE CTS2, aFe PDS, AirLift 5000 Ultimate & Wireless Air, Lund LED Bull Bar, RC Grille bar, B&W 5th Wheel, Stark LED Lighting
2010 F250, H&S Mini Maxx, aFe PDS, Diamond Eye 4", Pro Comp Nitro 2.5", Bilstein 5100, SmittyBilt Bull Bar, Bushwacker Pocket Style, B&W Slider, Firestone Ride-Rite, Fuel Hostage 20x10, Pioneer/Kicker/JL Audio




RUFFSTUFF is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome