Thinking of going to 19.5", thoughts/feedback? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of going to 19.5", thoughts/feedback?

It's getting to be new tire time and has been strongly recommended to go to 19.5's on my 2005 6.0 CC DRW F350. Specs and expectations are stock suspension with rear airbags, 4x4, hauls a slide in camper and tows a 20' and 28' boat, daily driven both highway and secondary roads and will see plenty of rain & trips to the mountain for skiing.

From JKWheel, I have what seems to be a tolerable quote (none of this is cheap) for American Eagle 058's shod with Double Coin RLB1's. From what I have read on the internet, and we know it's ALL true, the wheels are American made but the tires are Chinese.

I can't find reviews on the tires. Has anyone dealt with them? Anyone have any indication as to how they might work out for me in this application? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Who is recommending 19.5's for you? From your description of what you are doing I don't think I would. Unless you are constantly towing really heavy. But it doesn't sound like you are. And for driving in snow/rain there are tires for your 17" rims that will have much better traction, in addition to having a better ride when empty/not towing.

Now, don't get me wrong...the 19.5's look badass! I have them on my F450 and love them. Plus, you can get 100k miles out of the rears and 60k out of the fronts without rotating with the right pressure.

You can get 19.5" tires that work well in snow and rain (Michelin XDS2 is prob best, Toyo M608Z next), but they are expensive...around $400 per tire

Last edited by tfunk88; 12-29-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:09 AM

I have a couple friends with dualies and they are the ones. Improved ability to handle the load, less wander when hauling, lower rolling resistance and better mileage (out of the tires and motor MPG too) are why they recommended them.

My current tires are getting to the end of their line so I need to do something about replacing them. Now would be the time if I was going to do it. I'm not too worried about the ride unloaded as I know it is a truck. I'm not a soccer dad who bought a truck and expects it to ride like a Caddy- as long as it's not atrocious. I am interested in better mileage with the ability to haul as safe or safer than OEM and still get around in the winter.

I am curious if there is anyone here with experience with the tires. I can't find anything on my own.

Chris
Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 AM
Premium Member

Guy I work with just did those style wheels in a 17 and it looks good. Lot more tire options for u that way too
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found some reviews of Double Coin tires, but of their big rig offerings, not the specific tire you're looking at. Consensus seems to be they are a pretty good tire for the money.

If you do a ton of highway driving you may see an increase in fuel mileage going to 19.5's. They are significantly heavier, and a bit taller, so take more power to get up to speed. So you're around town/short trip mileage will suffer. Long highway trips will make up for that somewhat due to taller profile and less rolling resistance of the tires.

Are you having big wander problems with your current 17's? That could be due to air pressure. Or play in your steering box gears. Also, have you replaced your stock shocks?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

What you are contemplating is very popular in the TC world - especially for those that are at (or perhaps above) the load ratings for their vehicles, or just want more stability with the TC loaded. Other than a slightly rougher ride from the heavier duty tires, and perhaps a reduced tire selection, I see no downside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.