Locking DPF cap (to keep Diesel out) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hood72
Locking DPF cap (to keep Diesel out)

My Step Father asked me about this the other day and I looked into it and could not find anything on the market. My Son bought my 2007 Chevy LBZ, he works in the Eagle Ford Shale in South TX. Since they are well paid many buy diesel trucks and do not know a thing about diesels and to them its just another tank to fill, like a reserve tank.

So in short I think it was a bad design to put the two filler tubes next to each other and also green (and Yellow to a lesser degree due to E85) are Diesels colors. So I think Making the DPF cap green next to the fuel tank filler tube was just a bad idea like plastic oil pans on the 2011's and then they changed them to metal for 2012.

I am sure many of you have thought about the design, and when two of us got talking (Step Father and I) We said the solution was a locking cap but none to be found.

Anyone....anyone.....?

Last edited by hood72; 12-07-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: hey sorry i was wrong on the cap colours but either way bad design, but this sure got a lot of repys, thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm assuming your talking about UREA or DEF not DPF. I can understand how it's an issue, especially with the kind of thinking you describe, reserve tank. heh.

On the Ford's, it was done with a Green Diesel cap and a Blue DEF cap like the following,

The Chevy's look like this,

Pretty obvious but if you don't know diesels it could be a pretty big mistake.

Here are some links I found for locking DEF caps, no idea if they will work though for our size openings.
http://www.class8truckparts.com/Volv...B003U2V73Y.htm
http://www.iveco.com/ivecoshop/en-us...Adbluecap.aspx
http://www.truckprotect.com/adblue
http://www.fueldefendusa.com/products/def-caps
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well if your son bought an 07 he wont have to worry about DEF and you cant fit a regular nozzle in the DEF tank so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
WHY IS THIS THREAD IN THE TIRE AND WHEEL SECTION ??????????
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood72 View Post
My Step Father asked me about this the other day and I looked into it and could not find anything on the market. My Son bought my 2007 Chevy LBZ, he works in the Eagle Ford Shale in South TX. Since they are well paid many buy diesel trucks and do not know a thing about diesels and to them its just another tank to fill, like a reserve tank.

So in short I think it was a bad design to put the two filler tubes next to each other and also green (and Yellow to a lesser degree due to E85) are Diesels colors. So I think Making the DPF cap green next to the fuel tank filler tube was just a bad idea like plastic oil pans on the 2011's and then they changed them to metal for 2012.

I am sure many of you have thought about the design, and when two of us got talking (Step Father and I) We said the solution was a locking cap but none to be found.

Anyone....anyone.....?
You should be more worried about these people putting DEF in the fuel tank. There is a $15K price difference between the two scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
WHY IS THIS THREAD IN THE TIRE AND WHEEL SECTION ??????????
The OP has 6 posts.... Thats my best guess.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Duramax View Post
well if your son bought an 07 he wont have to worry about DEF and you cant fit a regular nozzle in the DEF tank so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
I was wondering about that. Didn't think they did it that early.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

You said , if you don't know diesels.....

Well I do not know how to say it nicely many people in the oil fields never have drove or owned a diesel. On top of that many can make big $$ so they go out and buy a Diesel and do the, sorry if I offend any one to make up for a small .... they go out and buy one and put crazy lifts and tires and all sorts of gaudy things on them. its one thing to have a grille guard ,headache rack and toolbox, but when you can not get in your truck without a step stool or climb the tires or the like....
and thing they do not do if modify the brakes , suspension to handle the added rotating mass from the big foot size tires and rims.

sorry if I went off topic and ranted

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
I'm assuming your talking about UREA or DEF not DPF. I can understand how it's an issue, especially with the kind of thinking you describe, reserve tank. heh.

On the Ford's, it was done with a Green Diesel cap and a Blue DEF cap like the following,

The Chevy's look like this,

Pretty obvious but if you don't know diesels it could be a pretty big mistake.

Here are some links I found for locking DEF caps, no idea if they will work though for our size openings.
Volvo Truck Locking DEF cap 21148725 | Wheeling Truck Center
Cap for AdBlue tank
AdBlue/DEF
DEF Caps
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood72 View Post
Well I do not know how to say it nicely many people in the oil fields never have drove or owned a diesel. On top of that many can make big $$ so they go out and buy a Diesel and do the, sorry if I offend any one to make up for a small .... they go out and buy one and put crazy lifts and tires and all sorts of gaudy things on them. its one thing to have a grille guard ,headache rack and toolbox, but when you can not get in your truck without a step stool or climb the tires or the like....
and thing they do not do if modify the brakes , suspension to handle the added rotating mass from the big foot size tires and rims.

sorry if I went off topic and ranted
I think you missed the fact that they made the money and have every right to do with it as they choose. If they like a 10" lift with 40s... more power to them. It is asinine to say that everyone with a big truck is compensating. Maybe me, but not everyone
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Well thats why I did not make it a blanket statement and said "many" , but you also have to know the machismo. It is a culture type of thing I understand it as I have grown up in south TX. Also like I said you Need too, when doing some alterations do other like the brakes fender flares to keep the tires from throwing rocks and more on the truck itself and others around/behind.

But ok put 40" tires and a lift big enough to clear the tires and little more for safety. But the other day I saw a truck at a speed shop had maybe 36"s? but had a 12" or so lift and it was silly because it was a ford not a HUMMVEE that has independent front and rear suspension, so the bigger the tires the more ground clearance.

To me trucks like that are like nose rings/studs on women some look so sexyaome make you do a second look like hmm nice and then theres the ones that make you say WTF (much like spandex).

Sorry if I Irked anyone but I am sure you know what I meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.