Wheel question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel question

Looking at a set of wheels 18x9 -12 offset with 4.5" bs for my 2010 f250. How far will these wheels stick out past the fenders? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, 05 and above need a 6~6.5 backspace (since offset changes based on width, I can't give you off set number). Any way, if you need a 2 inch spacer to put new wheels on my 2003 (made for a 4.5BS), then it's logical to deduce that those wheels will stick out 2" on your truck compared to a wheel with the proper '05 and up backspace.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 PM

They should stick out about 1 inch.
I have 18x10's with 4.5" backspacing and mine stick out about 2", here's a pic of mine:

Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil PSD View Post
Looking at a set of wheels 18x9 -12 offset with 4.5" bs for my 2010 f250. How far will these wheels stick out past the fenders? Thanks
Your stock wheels are 8" wide with a +40 offset. So 52mm + 1/2" = 2.5"

The rim face will be 2.5" farther out then the stock wheels. How far out past the fender this will be I don't know.

Just a heads up, your tire width will give it some more.

And someone up there^^^ said his stick out 2". It looks like his tire sticks out 2", the wheel is probably sticking out about 1".
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
here is a pic of the same rims on a 2005, i have the same size on my 2010 and they fit the same i just dont have a picture of my 2010 down the side. this is with a 12.5" tire, if you get a wider tire it will stick out more
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM

thanks for the response guys, too far out for me, i like the look but do not want to chip my paint, what backspacing with stick the wheel even with the fender but have the tire stick out a tad?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
check out 0 offset. thats more what your looking for. It will have the tire just barely poking out a bit. i couldnt decide which one i wanted 0 or -12. both look really good but i just had to go with the low and wide look
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil PSD View Post
thanks for the response guys, too far out for me, i like the look but do not want to chip my paint, what backspacing with stick the wheel even with the fender but have the tire stick out a tad?
With a 9" wide wheel stick with a between 10+ and 25+ offset. Any offset - is just too far off from stock. Forget backspacing focus on offset.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Forget backspacing focus on offset.
Seriously!?!

Take a look at this web site and see how off set CHANGES with wheel width, but backspace DOES NOT. To be more specific, a 5 inch backspace is going to be the same on any wheel, but a 9 inch wheel is going to have a different offset than an 8 or a 10 inch wheel to get that SAME 5 inches to the mounting plate. When it's all said and done, backspace is what is going to keep your tires away from your steering components whether it's measured in mm from the wheel centerline, or inches with a straight edge and a tape measure on the inside.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Last edited by Karls03; 10-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Seriously!?!

Take a look at this web site and see how off set CHANGES with wheel width, but backspace DOES NOT. To be more specific, a 5 inch backspace is going to be the same on any wheel, but a 9 inch wheel is going to have a different offset than an 8 or a 10 inch wheel to get that SAME 5 inches to the mounting plate. When it's all said and done, backspace is what is going to keep your tires away from your steering components whether it's measured in mm from the wheel centerline, or inches with a straight edge and a tape measure on the inside.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
Yes seriously. Wheel width and offset give you your backspace. 08+ fords have no problems clearing steering components. He is only going 1" wider on his wheel, as long as he is more then -12.7 mm on his offset from stock he will be fine.

Forget backspace and do 3rd grade math to figure the change in rims!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.