need help deciding tires, need your opinion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help deciding tires, need your opinion

I've been looking at 35x12.5x20 e range for my truck ranging anywhere between bf ats, cooper stt, goodyear duratracs, and the toyo open country mt and at2. It seems there are sooo many mixed reviews mainly on the milage you can get out of the tires. It seems the performance is all pretty good for them though. The bfgs are the most pricey of the bunch over 2k. I can get the coopers for 1600 installed. the duratracs I can get for around 1800 installed. I havent check on the toyos. It seems that alot of guys are happy with the toyos around here. My local tire shop said that with proper care and rotations you should get decent milage out of any of these selections. Any help or advice would be sweet, thanks..

Also, they are going on an 08 350 with 20" wheels that I'm going to level. Any pics of these wheels on any leveled trucks would be nice too. Ive searched and have been reading up on older threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Tire reviews can be tricky to break down. Everyone has a slightly different driving style, slightly different driving conditions and may or may not be driving the same truck you are.

We'd be happy to make a recommendation for you. What are you looking for in a tire? How do you use your truck? What tire do you have now and how many miles have you got out of them?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Personally, I've enjoyed the Duratracs. I've only had them for about 5000 miles though so I can't really tell you how well they will wear. However, I can tell you that I have loved the way they handle in standing water, heavy rain, ice, snow, and of course dry ground. I don't do any offroading or towing so I can't comment on those either.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
Tire reviews can be tricky to break down. Everyone has a slightly different driving style, slightly different driving conditions and may or may not be driving the same truck you are.

We'd be happy to make a recommendation for you. What are you looking for in a tire? How do you use your truck? What tire do you have now and how many miles have you got out of them?
I am in construction so I don't know what I'm going to be driving into at any point during the day, and I also hunt spring fall and winter. Now I have the stock goodyears that came on the truck and it has 80k on it. Don't know if they are still the same tires that came on the truck or not. But they are the same kind. And the tread is getting looow. On my 1/2 ton I've been running the bfg at with really good luck. Just want to try something else plus those are $$$$ in a 325. I want a more agresive at or even a mt that will get more than 20k for life of the tread.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have Toyo mt open country and I love them. I tow two boats in the summer across the state of fl and they tow great. Also living in florida I live off a dirt off a dirt road and sometime the roads become mud trenches and sometimes can be almost impossible to get out of while towing. Iv put about 15000-20000k miles on them but over all great traction and they are wearing nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It sounds like either the Goodyear Dura Trac's of the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO would be a good tire fit for you. They are both very versatile tires that will give you a smooth ride.

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires

Ratings, reviews and specifications for BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO tires

Let us know if we can be of assistance.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM

do the duratracs wear better than wrangler mts and the cooper stt? Ive been looking around today and asking local shops about pricing and stuff. I think I'm leaning towards these three.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am in the same boat you are, I even started a thread about this 2 weeks ago. I like the look of the duratracs but unless I'm wrong they have the white sidewall letters on both sides and that I can't stand. I mean maybe I have options of sanding the face of the rubber slightly just to remove the white paint, but I'm not too sure about that.

And I have heard completely mixed reviews on the life of the toyo's (which are also another top choice of mine). I'm guessing the people who are getting low lifetimes out of their tires are using them harshly??
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
I am in the same boat you are, I even started a thread about this 2 weeks ago. I like the look of the duratracs but unless I'm wrong they have the white sidewall letters on both sides and that I can't stand. I mean maybe I have options of sanding the face of the rubber slightly just to remove the white paint, but I'm not too sure about that.

And I have heard completely mixed reviews on the life of the toyo's (which are also another top choice of mine). I'm guessing the people who are getting low lifetimes out of their tires are using them harshly??
The White letting should only be on 1 side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk450er View Post
do the duratracs wear better than wrangler mts and the cooper stt? Ive been looking around today and asking local shops about pricing and stuff. I think I'm leaning towards these three.
Hard to say which will wear better. None of them have mileage warranties.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM

I loved the Open Country MT's on my 7.3... Only reason they arent on my 6.0 is I couldnt find any in stock. Not sure what the Nitto Trail Grapplers mt's are rated but they are great as well. I think the toyo's and nitto's look the best too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.