New toyo open country AT 2??? - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
when i lift my truck im not sure which tire im going to go with. i love the look of the nitto mud grappler but hate you get 35k miles out of it. does the toyo mt have more lift then the nittos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker007 View Post
when i lift my truck im not sure which tire im going to go with. i love the look of the nitto mud grappler but hate you get 35k miles out of it. does the toyo mt have more lift then the nittos?
mud grapplers ??????? those things are awful lol. I rode in a buddies dodge and im not sure what was worse the sound or the vibration at low speed. i will never own anything more aggressive that the trail graps
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM

I saw the Toyo ATIIs at 4WheelParts the other day and they looked pretty cool. I would run them if they made a bigger size.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
mud grapplers ??????? those things are awful lol. I rode in a buddies dodge and im not sure what was worse the sound or the vibration at low speed. i will never own anything more aggressive that the trail graps
mine doesnt vibrate really. and i like the noise, it helps me tune out my gf when she is yapping lol i just wished they last longer.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Lasted longer then her yapping
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM

a womens yapping will be heard over anything. these tires just tone it down a little bit. there is no sure for that yet.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AT2 Review

I have purchased a set of these to replace my worn out Revo 2’s so I’ll toss my 2 cents into the fray. They were purchased from a local tire company called Belle Tire, great place, great service and always seem to be honest. The Tech ordered both the AT1 and AT2’s for me so I could make a side by side comparison between the two tires. The AT 1 seemed, at least to my eye, to be a little taller, and wider than the newer AT2’s. This was off the rims ect. So take that for what it’s worth. The AT2s are certainly more aggressive than the AT1’s, nice sidewall’s and deep tread pattern and I really liked the look. The AT2’s also felt much softer than the AT1’s. Now I didn’t use any fancy meters to test the rubber hardness, just my 10 digits but there was a definite difference; the AT1’s were much harder to the touch. I was leaning towards the AT2s but I hadn’t gotten the final damage report (cost) from the Belle Tire Tech yet. Much to my surprise, the AT2’s were actually cheaper than the AT1’s! That sealed the deal and a shiny new set of 285/70/17’s were on the way!

Now, I had a right side tie rod that was bad, ( knew this coming in, it was more of a test to see if they would find it, and only it, to fix…they passed) and they fixed that along with an alignment. The AT2’s looked GREAT on my truck and I really was looking forward to getting them out for a test drive.

Once on the road, it was…a disappointment. At low speeds, < 45mph, on dry pavement and dry dirt roads, the tires are great. They offer a load of grip and seem to be very sure-footed. However, above 45/50mph it was like having a roller skate attached to all 4 corners. At highway/freeway speeds they proved to be a bit scary. Now I drove them in calm and windy conditions, drove them for a couple hundred miles this past weekend thinking that they might just need to be broken in a bit and that didn’t change the handling much at all. This morning, we had a lot of rain, so I was able to test them out in the wet too and it was more of the same, my truck was very squirrely once above 45/50mph.

I did not take them off road at all so I can’t offer any review of that performance.

So, there’s my review, your mileage may vary. The AT2’s are coming off this afternoon and a set of AT1’s are going on instead. Hopefully I will not experience the same thing with the next set. I am disappointed though, I really liked the look of the AT2’s, but I spend a lot of time on the road and it can’t be a dance the whole time.

Edit: I put some photos in a photo album if you'd like to see them on on truck.

Last edited by Scotty777; 11-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty777 For This Useful Post:
FL_F250 (02-08-2014)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty777 View Post
I have purchased a set of these to replace my worn out Revo 2ís so Iíll toss my 2 cents into the fray. They were purchased from a local tire company called Belle Tire, great place, great service and always seem to be honest. The Tech ordered both the AT1 and AT2ís for me so I could make a side by side comparison between the two tires. The AT 1 seemed, at least to my eye, to be a little taller, and wider than the newer AT2ís. This was off the rims ect. So take that for what itís worth. The AT2s are certainly more aggressive than the AT1ís, nice sidewallís and deep tread pattern and I really liked the look. The AT2ís also felt much softer than the AT1ís. Now I didnít use any fancy meters to test the rubber hardness, just my 10 digits but there was a definite difference; the AT1ís were much harder to the touch. I was leaning towards the AT2s but I hadnít gotten the final damage report (cost) from the Belle Tire Tech yet. Much to my surprise, the AT2ís were actually cheaper than the AT1ís! That sealed the deal and a shiny new set of 285/70/17ís were on the way!

Now, I had a right side tie rod that was bad, ( knew this coming in, it was more of a test to see if they would find it, and only it, to fixÖthey passed) and they fixed that along with an alignment. The AT2ís looked GREAT on my truck and I really was looking forward to getting them out for a test drive.

Once on the road, it wasÖa disappointment. At low speeds, < 45mph, on dry pavement and dry dirt roads, the tires are great. They offer a load of grip and seem to be very sure-footed. However, above 45/50mph it was like having a roller skate attached to all 4 corners. At highway/freeway speeds they proved to be a bit scary. Now I drove them in calm and windy conditions, drove them for a couple hundred miles this past weekend thinking that they might just need to be broken in a bit and that didnít change the handling much at all. This morning, we had a lot of rain, so I was able to test them out in the wet too and it was more of the same, my truck was very squirrely once above 45/50mph.

I did not take them off road at all so I canít offer any review of that performance.

So, thereís my review, your mileage may vary. The AT2ís are coming off this afternoon and a set of AT1ís are going on instead. Hopefully I will not experience the same thing with the next set. I am disappointed though, I really liked the look of the AT2ís, but I spend a lot of time on the road and it canít be a dance the whole time.

Interesting that my experience with the AT 2 is 100% opposite from yours. I still really like mine.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty777 View Post
I have purchased a set of these to replace my worn out Revo 2ís so Iíll toss my 2 cents into the fray. They were purchased from a local tire company called Belle Tire, great place, great service and always seem to be honest. The Tech ordered both the AT1 and AT2ís for me so I could make a side by side comparison between the two tires. The AT 1 seemed, at least to my eye, to be a little taller, and wider than the newer AT2ís. This was off the rims ect. So take that for what itís worth. The AT2s are certainly more aggressive than the AT1ís, nice sidewallís and deep tread pattern and I really liked the look. The AT2ís also felt much softer than the AT1ís. Now I didnít use any fancy meters to test the rubber hardness, just my 10 digits but there was a definite difference; the AT1ís were much harder to the touch. I was leaning towards the AT2s but I hadnít gotten the final damage report (cost) from the Belle Tire Tech yet. Much to my surprise, the AT2ís were actually cheaper than the AT1ís! That sealed the deal and a shiny new set of 285/70/17ís were on the way!

Now, I had a right side tie rod that was bad, ( knew this coming in, it was more of a test to see if they would find it, and only it, to fixÖthey passed) and they fixed that along with an alignment. The AT2ís looked GREAT on my truck and I really was looking forward to getting them out for a test drive.

Once on the road, it wasÖa disappointment. At low speeds, < 45mph, on dry pavement and dry dirt roads, the tires are great. They offer a load of grip and seem to be very sure-footed. However, above 45/50mph it was like having a roller skate attached to all 4 corners. At highway/freeway speeds they proved to be a bit scary. Now I drove them in calm and windy conditions, drove them for a couple hundred miles this past weekend thinking that they might just need to be broken in a bit and that didnít change the handling much at all. This morning, we had a lot of rain, so I was able to test them out in the wet too and it was more of the same, my truck was very squirrely once above 45/50mph.

I did not take them off road at all so I canít offer any review of that performance.

So, thereís my review, your mileage may vary. The AT2ís are coming off this afternoon and a set of AT1ís are going on instead. Hopefully I will not experience the same thing with the next set. I am disappointed though, I really liked the look of the AT2ís, but I spend a lot of time on the road and it canít be a dance the whole time.

Before you switch your new tires out, it's been my experience that all new tires are bit squirely for the first 500 miles or so. Since Toyo offers the "try them and then return them if not happy" policy, why not run them for a few hundred miles before deciding? Just a thought.....
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM

I love my 35"x12.50"x18" 10 ply Toyo OPAT ll They handle great in the dirt and rocks, its a little dry right now in AZ so i'll haven't tried them in the mud. Bought mine from A to Z tire in Albq. NM
Attached Thumbnails
New toyo open country AT 2???-photo-23.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.