Making a mistake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Making a mistake?

So Its time to buy new tires Ive always wanted to go up in size. I currently run 285-75-16 falken tires and my plan was to go up to 315-75 (or 70 i cant recall) -16. The new tires are going to be toyo open country ALL TERRAIN. NOT mud tire. But now that the time has come to move up I am reading terrible stories about gas mileage. Right now I get about 14 city 18 highway and 16 combined. how much will this drop? whats your guys experience? I went with an all terrain to try and keep some mileage. whats your guys experience jumping from a 33 to a 35?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No matter how you look at it, you're going to lose some MPGs. I don't think you'll notice a big difference between mud tires and all terrains. Check out the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Good looking tire, almost identical sidewall to Nitto Trail Grappler MTs but has a less aggressive tread and a much quieter ride.

I have an 04 (6.0l) short bed and 35s. I usually get between 230 and 280 miles out of each tank, depending on how much I idle and if I haul anything.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Hi had the same tires. Y changed them for 285/75r17. Same milage but bigger tires, looks better than the 16inch. oh, and I moved from 16x7 rims to 17x9 MT classic II.
With full diesel tank i get 750kms aprox, thats 466 miles.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well im crossing my fingers i dont lose too much mileage. and ill look into the goodyear wranglers. Any other suggestion or ideas on what all terrain tire would be best?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM

For me, the best AT is the BFG MT... Always keep in mind that the tires for these trucks has to be E rated. I use D, NEVER C!. I dont use my truck for heavy town or put to much stuff on the back, so D is OK. If you load it, use E. 50psi.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwrstroke7 View Post
No matter how you look at it, you're going to lose some MPGs. I don't think you'll notice a big difference between mud tires and all terrains. Check out the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Good looking tire, almost identical sidewall to Nitto Trail Grappler MTs but has a less aggressive tread and a much quieter ride.

I have an 04 (6.0l) short bed and 35s. I usually get between 230 and 280 miles out of each tank, depending on how much I idle and if I haul anything.
what size tank you got in that thing? i got an 03 f350 6.0L reg cab long bed and i get 600 miles per tank, just hoping you have the smaller tank lol
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb01453 View Post
what size tank you got in that thing? i got an 03 f350 6.0L reg cab long bed and i get 600 miles per tank, just hoping you have the smaller tank lol
How do you get 600 miles? I have the same truck, just with the egr delete though. Would love to Be able to get that amount pf miles out of one tank. Im getting a sct and cts next month. I hope it helps.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriero4x4 View Post
Hi had the same tires. Y changed them for 285/75r17. Same milage but bigger tires, looks better than the 16inch. oh, and I moved from 16x7 rims to 17x9 MT classic II.
With full diesel tank i get 750kms aprox, thats 466 miles.
how about some pics of your setup. I been thinking about moving up to 17s and 285s myself
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb01453 View Post
Quote:
How do you get 600 miles? I have the same truck, just with the egr delete though. Would love to Be able to get that amount pf miles out of one tank. Im getting a sct and cts next month. I hope it helps.

Long Bed is 39 Gallons
Short bed is 28 Gallons

600/39= 15.4 MPG
280/28= 10MPG

Tunes should help

I'm getting about 325-350 miles on my short bed truck!

Before my 35" TOYO tires I would get 425 miles tp the tank!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
i have a bulletproof egr cooler, catback exhaust 4 inch, with deleted cat, aem brute force intake, and custom tunes from vivian, via sct xcal 2, i think the tunes do most of the work, but yea, i do a fair amount of highway driving usually doing about 80 mph and average 600 miles per tank. but i also have a 40 gallon tank, i know some of the f350's came with like a 28 gallon tank...I also think i could get a decent amount more out of my tank if i didnt bomb down the highway, but i got kind of a lead foot that i cant seem to cure....I actually average about 18 mpg's, i never use a full tank, when i fill up its usually about 33 gallons, give or take a little bit, so im squeezing 18 mpg out of my 6.0L so im happy with it.

Last edited by mikeb01453; 08-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.