Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Run 37's without re-gearing? Good? Bad? meh?

16K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Eagle 33 
#1 ·
Considering a 6" lift... With that, Im interested in how important it is to re-gear to 4.10s if I run a 37 with it. Truck is stock with 3.73s, I don't tow much, just a small camper and a car occasionally, nothing more than 5000-6000 pounds. If i run the 37's without going to 4.10s will that wreck the tranny, or just make the truck a total dog when I'm towing? Kind of a rookie question I know, never ran a lift/tires this big on anything before and of course im doing homework on my own but Im looking for your input...

#29 ·
I have 37's and had 4.10's...It seemed with this underpowered 7.3 it just struggled a bit...

I am building my truck for a specific purpose and went to 4.88's and love it....except for on the freeway....its up there.

#30 ·
does it make a difference if its a 7.3/6.0/6.4 etc? I have a 6.0 with 3.73's and I'm looking to put 37's on, but don't want to F things up too much before I can afford to regear. advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.