Advice on painting calipers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on painting calipers?

Anyone painted up their rusty calipers? What is the best way for a home mechanic to go about it? Wire brush and paint or wire brush, prime and paint? Any other recommendations to make it easier. I know sand blasting would work great but I don't have access to one and I need the truck for work so I need to turn the work around in a day or an afternoon. Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Dwight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 AM

Allow yourself as much time as possible. Rushed work shows anytime you paint something, as the time is in the prep. You are painting them to bring attention to them, so you want them to look good for a long time. I have used the combination of wire brush, tooth brush, die grinder, sand paper, and most importantly degreaser and soapy water. Get em as CLEAN as possible. If my memory serves me correct the caliper paint I used didnt need primer and could be applied directly on bare metal.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dammit, I knew it would be time consuming but anything worth doing is worth doing right. I might just invest in a sandblaster. There are so many times I could use it especially restoring parts on my trucks and cars, but what to do with the mess. I don't think my 2 car garage is ready for sand blasting just yet so I guess its wire brush and die grinder time. Thanks,
Regards,

Dwight
Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneGuy View Post
Dammit, I knew it would be time consuming but anything worth doing is worth doing right. I might just invest in a sandblaster. There are so many times I could use it especially restoring parts on my trucks and cars, but what to do with the mess. I don't think my 2 car garage is ready for sand blasting just yet so I guess its wire brush and die grinder time. Thanks,
Regards,

Dwight
You might consider getting a small bench top(or larger if you have the room and $$) media blasting cabinet. Everyone from Harbor Freight to Snap-On sells them. They are excellent for cleaning rusty parts, I use them at work all the time.

HF Media Blasting Cabinet

The above link is an example. I personally would spend more on a nicer cabinet if you have a use for it. Just remember with tools, you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Brew
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just saw a caliper paint kit at auto zone or oreillys made by rustoleum. looked like it had everything one needs to do this.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_WY View Post
You might consider getting a small bench top(or larger if you have the room and $$) media blasting cabinet. Everyone from Harbor Freight to Snap-On sells them. They are excellent for cleaning rusty parts, I use them at work all the time.

HF Media Blasting Cabinet

The above link is an example. I personally would spend more on a nicer cabinet if you have a use for it. Just remember with tools, you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Brew
Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Harbor Freight tools scare me but I didn't think I could go wrong with a ball joint press. It's basically just a 'C' clamp with a hole in the end for the ball joint stud to move through. I wouldn't buy much else from them because I really can't stand cheap chinese crap. The press worked me out of a corner though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblauf View Post
i just saw a caliper paint kit at auto zone or oreillys made by rustoleum. looked like it had everything one needs to do this.
I will look into that as well, thanks.
Regards,

Dwight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.