military tires and 16.5's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
military tires and 16.5's

so a buddy of mine was telling me that i would be better off in the long run to buy military goodyear tires off ebay and find a set a 16.5 rims to go on my truck because these tires are supposedly so cheap. Anybody doing this and if so do you have any pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Illiana Strokers

Send a message via AIM to chitowncustomz
I will have to wait till tomarrow to take a picture. But I am running military 37" on recentered HUMMVEE rims. Yes they are cheap to buy. A lot of run flat grease in all of the tires I got. Pain in the but to clean out. With the setup I am running they are hard to find some to balance them but a little shimmy at 75mph it is not to bad. the bead is different on the military tire because you have to pinch them in the rim with the bead lock. So running them on any 16.5" rim I could not tell you if the bead would come unseeted for any reason. I would do some research to see if there would be any issue that would come up with running them.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM

awesome info thanks for the help man. Pics would be great. I figured it would be too good to be true.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Tires cheap... but you get what you pay for, the early hmmwv tires in 36-12.50-16.5 were a good year tire that was a bias ply... stout tires, but HORRIBLE on the road... they were the death of my 75 F250... they are horrible in the rain, not much better on the asphalt, the only thing they do well is deep mud... the 37-12.50-16.5 made by goodyear are radial tires and have been in use since around 2000 or so... they are a good directional tread tire and have better manners on the road, but are lacking in the mud department... better than some, and worse than others, but more desirable than the others... there is now a bfg tire on some of the newest up armored trucks... and i really have no much more experience then seeing them on the newest trucks, i dont know how they handle or wear... but mind you if you buy military surplus they are not only used, but more than likely used up...at or below the wear bars and at the end of their useful life... for the money you may want to think about staying with a good new tire... there is way more effective tread patterns available at a relatively reasonable cost... my cooper stt's handle way better in the snow and ice then the military goodyears could ever hope to, granted they were $1100 installed for the set but i can get through a blizzard, go over a logging road or through a mud pit better than our hummers at work... just my .02
Old 12-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Illiana Strokers

Send a message via AIM to chitowncustomz
Sorry about the horrible pics from my phone.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Where can you get the tires from?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I ran them for a while and they are dirt cheap.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Lot of locals sell them on Craigslist just search military . I have got sets for 200 for four 225 for 5
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation this the DRMO website... they sell all kinds of stuff from local bases... they sell the tires in lots, usually pretty cheap. they also sell the big 20" tires... if you know anyone that bought one of the chevy CUCV pick-ups from the military it's a good source for parts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.