Do tires last in storage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Augmented Thrust Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do tires last in storage?

Has anybody stored a truck for several years in an indoor facility (ie mil storage or equivalent)? I'm currently thinking about getting new tires, but will most likely be going overseas in about 8 months for ~3 yrs. I plan on keeping my truck in mil storage, which they say is indoor, climate/humidity controlled, and apparently they start the truck/move it once a month or so.

I currently have Michelin LTX AT2's on factory 20's, which were awesome in Texas, and on their last 10k miles by my estimation. They are currently awful on snow & ice. My decision is whether to kill the Michelins and risk the rest of the Oregon winter, or buy new tires (deciding between Nitto Terra Grapplers, Goodyear Duratracs, or BFG AT's) and have them possibly sit for several years. Online sources suggest they last around 4-6yrs.

Would these tires be trashed by the time I got back from the states (and be a waste of ~$1200)? How bout an alternative, like finding some used snow tires on 18's or something that I could resell? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Few things I do know is you should change all fluids, e.g. radiator, oil, brake just prior to storage. Make sure fuel tank is full to prevent condensation. Air up tires completely to avoid flat spots, putting vehicle on jack stands would be better if you can do it so it sits at it's natural height, this will prevent the suspension from drooping. Leave emergency brake off. Wash and wax the vehicle before storage. Remove battery or batteries. If stored inside, leave windows cracked so seals are in a relaxed state.

Theres plenty of other things you can do, just google how to store a vehicle.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 AM

Don't buy tires. If they sit in storage like that for 3 years, they won't last another 3 maybe when you get back. They'll start to rot just as soon as you start driving it. I'd just buy a cheapo used set of snow tires or mt's or something to get you through the winter then run em bald and park it on them. Then you won't worry about ruining good tires etc..
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Don't buy new tires unless you just want to waste money. They will be hard when you get back.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 AM

Tires will last up up 8 years in a covered state. Cover them with black lawn bags to keep the UV away. Raise the truck on stands and keep the pressure around 30 lbs. They will be fine. I have purchased cars in barns that were 30 years old and the tires were not cracked or hard, I wouldn't drive at a high speed on them, but around town they were good to go.
Modern tires have compounds that help keep them pliable. Saying that, if you get a killer deal on tires, buy them. If you are not getting them at a great price, just wait.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
If I was going to be gone for 3 years I'd sell the rig.

Before I went to the first gulf war a couple of buddies gave my wife their keys, so she could drive their trucks while we were in the suck.
Every couple of weeks she would take one out just to keep 'em moving and spot on. 3 years parked - dude tires are your LEAST worry.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Augmented Thrust Addict

Well after some thought (and sliding all over the place again) I got a great deal on some barely used Terra Grapplers and kept the old Michelins, might put those back on if I do store it and maybe sell the Nittos or something. I agree w/ you Rodslinger that selling the rig makes sense, but I'm definitely selling my wife's car, and the idea of having to get 2 new vehicles when we get back doesn't sound fun when I could at least have this one paid off. I could try to let a relative keep/use it or something, I guess it's just weighing use, mileage, and 3 years in the Texas sun against sitting still in indoor storage for 3 years, with probably several grand of maintenance to get it kicking again. At least I have a while to get that gameplan together. Thanks for the help dudes.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I've got a spare set of wheels and rims I can loan ya AND I have no problems at all keeping your rig moving in the Texas weather while you're gone....you don't mind a few mods on it when you get home do you?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Augmented Thrust Addict

Now there's an idea...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.