Sand, Rain, and Snow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sand, Rain, and Snow

I will be replacing my worn 315/60-20 Toyo M/Ts. I need an E load rating, and will be using the Excursion in the snow, and on the beach, and, since I'm inj the PNW, the tire needs to handle wet pavement well.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im a really big fan of the BFG A/t ko, they are amazing tires! I live in the PNW as well and I have had two sets and they handle great in everyhing. Just my 2 cents for ya.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's all I run on my 4x4's. I've always been pleased. They are super sensitive to pressure, so make sure you keep an eye on them, because they will wear odd and fast if the pressure is way low, I learned that the hard way
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the recommendation.
I had BFG ATs and I thought that they had a strong tendancy to load up.
BFG MTs handled deep snow real well but left a lot to be desired on ice or hard pack. I'm leaning toward a set of Trxus MTs but am having trouble getting over the balancing issues. I'm real familiar with Interco as I have a set of 37 SS on my Samurai, and they have roundness issues, but luckily that doesn't come into play when crawling!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 PM

I would never run Interco, except on a crawler like you said. And even then... Bad bad experiences... But the only time my BFG AT's ever really packed up on me was in mud, that real nasty Caliche mud. I've run them through deep snow etc and been overall pleased. You might look into a goodyear silent armor. They're a severe snow rated tire, and kevlar belted. My issue with any MT really is how much I pull. I don't like how they handle. I have heard good things about those goodyears though.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Keep the tires narrow with the snow. Looking forward to running my new ones this winter. My half worn 315/75r16's on my old Ram were underwhelming in DEEP snow, but they had too much width for the amount of bite an A/T has, especially at barely half tread and headlight deep snow with drifts coming over the hood...maybe i shouldnt complain since i didnt actually get stuck...

Jason
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Goodyear duratracs.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
I run Toyo H/T's on the fat girl up here in Washington. I have never been stuck. Then again she doesn't go off road.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 PM

nitto trail Grapplers are bad a** in an anything throw at them and they seem to wear extremly slow compared to you usual agressive A/T / M/T I have 10k on mine and they still look brand new and believe me when i say i like the white smoke comin from those tires... you cant compare the sands on the texas coast line to any other sand in the country it is way finer sand and you get stuck extremely easy but with the trails i have yet to spin a tire unless i wanted to of course... snow is the same way and they handle very well on wet pavement as well as dry i just think they are the ultimate tire in my opinion...
Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
I run Toyo H/T's on the fat girl up here in Washington. I have never been stuck. Then again she doesn't go off road.
I see a ton of those tires on duallys and 3/4-1 ton trucks. Almost everyday I see one in the shop with them on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.