front end grinding/dragging noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front end grinding/dragging noise

i know noises are hard to daignose without hearing them but hopefully someone has some insight. the other day i started hearg what sounds like dragging or light grinding in the front end when i make turns. its not all the time and it needs to be a substantial turn (almost locked out). my guess is either balljopints or wheel bearings. its dually with 7" lift and 37s so i would imagine between the dually spacers and the 37s the ball joints or wheel bearings may be giving out. what should i look for or how to diagnose this. anytips would be greatly appreciated. its not too bad right now but it seems to be getting worse and i dont want to wear through my $300 tires. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM

so i got home and lifted the front of the truck up. grabbed the top and bottom of both wheels and now movement to signify a bad wheel bearing or ball joints. i did grab the left and right side of the tire like i was trying to turn it and got a little movement there but i think thats normal. what else could it be? steering stabilizer or something with the track bar? hubs? only happens on turns and notice it turning right mostly.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very similar problem here!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hear the same noise, not on turns, just going down the road. Thought hung up brake or e brake. Everything checks out. Now leaning towards hub bearing. Either of you guys figure yours out?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Well I think I have got mine fixed. I flushed the power steering system and replaced with fresh Mercon V. Noise seems to be gone!! JKILE, sounds like you may have a worn bearing.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM

My 99 f250 shimmy's and shakes right before I come to a complete stop. Thought it had something to do with the front left caliper. Now today I lose my pedal completely. Back right rotor split down the middle and there is brake blood everywhere. Figure I trashed the caliper too.

TIRED OF BAD BRAKES!

Wanting to know where I can get some better quality parts than napa. Seems all I get from there is headaches and trouble.

Is there a better caliper choice too since I think my front left is dragging?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM

My fronts are warped, need to swap em out. I heard powerslot rotors and hawk pads were a good choice. I haven't priced em yet. Not sure on calipers. My two rear calipers are Napa due to the used ones dragging (wasn't the pins). So far so good on those. By the way the old rear calipers started dragging within like 2-3 months of one another. Wished I would of replaced them both at the same time.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Misael
I just recently got my truck and have a similar problem but ONLY when under throttle as in it goes away when i let off throttle at slow speeds and its random, its definitely louder at highway speeds. I changed out all four rotors and pads and changed rear diff fluid(was slightly leaking from previous owner) and the noise is still there. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My drivers side hub bearing was dry. The caliper was also hanging up on that side. Did both sides hub bearing and both calipers are tomorrow. Leave for WV on a ride trip tomorrow night, so I'll get a good feeling on the improvements.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, Truck rolls along nice, but the sound has not subsided. The drivers side hub bearing was in need of replacement. Passanger was ok, but replaced anyways. My highway speed vibration is gone, probably the hub, but I still have a vibration when accelerating, and the noise that sounds like a dragging brake, checked e brake, its fine, replaced both front calipers and pads, rotors are ok. Rear brakes check out. To me noise and slight vibration are towards the rear now that the hub issue is resolved. I'm at a loss and low on funds. Going to have to wait for whatever it is to break I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.