02 F-350 Caliper Hanging Up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 04:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 F-350 Caliper Hanging Up

I've got an 02 F-350, and a little while ago I noticed the right rear caliper was hanging up, so I tear into it, and replace everything: caliper, pads, rotor, caliper bracket (because the slide pins wouldn't come out), slide pins. After replcing all that, the caliper still locks up! I'll be driving down the road and you can feel it after you hit the brakes it'll drag, then when you get wherever you're going the right rear will be smoking and stink like burning brakes. So, I replaced the line from the T on the rear axle over to the caliper, icluding the right rear rubber hose (which NAPA says doesn't exist on an F-350, had to order it for an F-250!). And it still does it! I'm at a loss, I figure I only have to things left either I got a bad caliper right out of the box, (but I did tear it back apart after the first time it locked up after replacing everything and everything looked and moved fine, piston went back fine) or I have a bad proportioning valve, but wouldn't that cause both rear's to lock up at the same time? What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You probably have water contaminated brake fluid-Flush it, and make sure the rubber line going to that caliper isn't damaged.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM

I know you did a lot and you sound like you know what you are doing so don't take offense but you never mentioned lubing the pins that the caliper slides on. Something else you might check is the cables going to that side for the emergency brake. I have never heard of a proportioning valve doing that but could be I guess. The emergency brake is the only thing I can think of that would cause just on side to do that.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM

did you replace the ebrake hardware at the same time?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I know you did a lot and you sound like you know what you are doing so don't take offense but you never mentioned lubing the pins that the caliper slides on. Something else you might check is the cables going to that side for the emergency brake. I have never heard of a proportioning valve doing that but could be I guess. The emergency brake is the only thing I can think of that would cause just on side to do that.
Yes, I did remember to lube the slide pins when I put them in, and they were still free when I pulled the brakes back apart after the first time they locked up. Doesn't hurt to mention, sometimes it's the smallest thing that gets overlooked and causes a big problem. I don't think it's the proportioning valve either, since it's only one side doing it, not both rears, but I didn't know if anybody else had had it happen to them.

Quote:
did you replace the ebrake hardware at the same time?
I didn't do anything with the e-brake, I just slapped the new rotor on over the top of it. It's an automatic trans, so I never use it, I don't think I've ever even touched the pedal. The new rotor went on without even touching the shoes. One reason I don't think it has anything to do with the e-brake is if I feather the brake pedal it wont make the rear drag, but if you apply them normally, when you go to take off you'll feel them drag until you park somewhere for 10 or 15 minutes and let it sit, then they'll release and your good to go again until you press the pedal too hard again. I'm stumped, it has to have something to do with the hydraulics, but why only one side, unless the left rear caliper is setup open, and isn't working at all, but when I put the new pads on the rear the piston seemed to slide back normally?

Any sugestions are good sugestions, does anybody have anymore?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 PM

flush the entire brake system-brake fluid is anhydrous, it attracts moisture. if that moisture boils, itll expand an can lock up the brakes. If that doesn't help (make sure to get a GOOD fluid with a VERY high boiling point) change the proportioning valve.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM

It's worth a shot, I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

My '06 F350 was doing this. It was so bad the truck would shake violently. Took the rears off and the pistons were broken on the driver side rear. Replaced both rears with NAPA remans. Problem gone.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Ok then it has to be a line. The fluid is traveling to the caliper ok but when it is suppose to travel back to the resvior something is not letting it causing the caliper to still be engaged. Try to make it stick and look at all the rubber hoses to see if one is collapsed. Other than that I say take all the lines apart for just that side and blow through them to see if there is an obstruction. I know it's a pain but I don't know what else it could be.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 AM

My 2005 is doing the same thing. Once I cleaned all the parts and lubed them and it was okay for a while. But yesterday it happened again. I'm going to replace the rear calipers. I'm burning to much fuel with it hanging like this.

Marlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.