Need some tire help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need some tire help!!

First post here, and I found the site doing a search for tires. I have been lurking and searching here for a few days, but am still in a quandry as what tires to get.
I just bought an 11 F250 diesel Lariat, Platinum white, and traded my 4dr Jeep Rubicon on 37's in for it (acutally I demodded the Jeep and traded it in stock).
I want to go with a 2.5-3.5" lift on the 250, either Icon or Pure Performance, and I would like to run a 35-37" for a 20" wheel AT tire that handles nice, good road manners, and has longevity, all while doing decent off road (no mud) and in snow.
I first thought I wanted Nitto Grapper AT's, but learned they don't wear for ****. I have looked at Nitto Trail Grapplers, and they are still in the mix even for being a MT.
I like the Mickey Thompson ATZ, but the sizes suck, the 35" runs a tad small, but the 36" is a 15.50...WTF??
Most of the 35" tires I have found all run small, and I would really prefer a 37".
I would love to have BFG AT's, but I'm not paying 550 a tire for them, that's ridiculous!!
Lemme know what else may be out there, and what experiences you've had!! Thanks and awesome site!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think a good size for you would be what I ended up getting a 325-60r20, measures out to 35.6X13r20 which in my opinion looks really good. I got the goodyear duratracs and have been more then happy with them so far.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm doing a similar search. After going through two sets of BFG AT's with less than 18,000 miles with little to no towing I wouldn't suggest them. BFG does make their MT in a 37 with a E rating. I'm looking for a 35 myself, and the BFG KM2 MT only comes in a D rating in that size. The BFG MT's were great on my lighter trucks and my brother has 80,000 miles on his set (Jeep Wrangler).

The issue with the 2008+ trucks is the increased power and heavier weight.

Last edited by mountainman010; 04-27-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the tip on the GY bluemerc, sounds exactly like what I am looking for, and I did not even know about them!! I also have a good friend that manages a Goodyear store, so I might be able to get a good price!! They are large for a 35, and have a 3700lb load rate.

MountainMan, that's hard to believe about the BFG AT's, I got nearly 75k out of a set on a Durango I had, they were great tires, but on a lighter vehicle.
As for the BFG MT's, they came stock on my 07 Rubicon Unlimited, and I barely got 25k out of them, rotated regularly...and your brother has a set with 80k on them??

I'm not so sure it's going to be easy to get any mileage out of any tire with this 11 model, it will light the tires right up any where under 30mph!! 800ft lbs of tq is not good for tire longevity!!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb396 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the GY bluemerc, sounds exactly like what I am looking for, and I did not even know about them!! I also have a good friend that manages a Goodyear store, so I might be able to get a good price!! They are large for a 35, and have a 3700lb load rate.

MountainMan, that's hard to believe about the BFG AT's, I got nearly 75k out of a set on a Durango I had, they were great tires, but on a lighter vehicle.
As for the BFG MT's, they came stock on my 07 Rubicon Unlimited, and I barely got 25k out of them, rotated regularly...and your brother has a set with 80k on them??

I'm not so sure it's going to be easy to get any mileage out of any tire with this 11 model, it will light the tires right up any where under 30mph!! 800ft lbs of tq is not good for tire longevity!!
I wouldn't believe you could get 80,000 out of the BFG MT either, but I've seen him do it somehow. He still has some tread left, but the tire is dry rotting now. As for the BFG AT, my second is going to last less than the first set and it's E rated, something they changed since I bought the first set.

I would do some additional research on the GY before you go that direction, I've read that they can make the truck handle pretty poorly, due to the weight of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.