BFG AT KO's... yes or no? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BFG AT KO's... yes or no?

So, I've been looking at buying a new set of tires pretty soon, since my 4 different tires are getting kind of old to look at Now that my bills are paid to my parents, they said they would loan me the money for a set of tires.

Well, I've always liked the look of the BFG's. I've read more reviews than I care to count about them, with about as many bad reviews as good reviews.

I've know a guy who knows a guy who can get me the KO's in a 285/75/16 load range D for 200 a pop. Thing is, my mom was told today they are a horrible tire and only last like a fourth as long as other good AT's.

Well, she is completely against them now, and since my parents are fronting me the money and I'm paying them back, she ain't havin it.

I do have on BFG AT on my truck ATM, and in the 5 or 6k I have put on it, I have noticed basically no wear, and it's on the front under the weight of the PSD too.

I like the looks of them, and was planning on getting them, but things could change...

So, I want some thoughts. I can get deals on other tires as well, these are just the ones I was interested in when my guy made the call. Yay or nay?

If it's a big no, can anyone suggest any other AT's with a nice aggresive look? I've looked at the GY Duratracs too, but they only have a 40k warranty.

I've also looked into the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS (same as the Wildpeak) a good bit, but it seems like they're a newer tire, as I couldn't find much info on it, and what I did, was on like jeeps and yota's and whatnot, no HD diesels. I'd be all over them if they held up good under the weight and power of a diesel, as they are a good bit cheaper than the BFG's and still have a 50k warranty.

Last edited by nine6stroker; 03-17-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I like my KO's. But if money was an issue I'd go with the Generals. Look just about the same to me.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 AM

I have always had great luck with the BFG's. I always got 50,000 or better out of mine. As long as the tire pressure was right. I put them through a lot of things and they always got me home. Great tire. just my two cents.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive run 2-3 sets of BFG ATs and had good results out of them. the only complaint I ever had with them was that they rock chip really bad. as far a mileage I averaged about 30-40k out of them and am not the kind of guy to ratate and balance tires very often.
Jim
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Banned

they suck on wear........
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
they suck on wear........
Yep, the new ones suck. Used to be a good wearing tire, would run 60,000 mi with good care. Wouldn't do it.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 AM

I have a set on my Jeep, wear is awesome. Judging by some of the comments above, they must be the previous model though. I wasn't aware they changed the compound that much and the wear is not as good.

Otherwise I would say awesome tire, a little more money then others but comparable.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've had my BFG's for 15,000 miles now on my 02 and i love them. i do get them rotated ever 5k and wear seems ok, not horrible. i dont tow anything as of yet and i have the E load rating. if you need something else though i have heard good things about the TOYO Open country A/T, but they do cost more.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have them on my truck and they have 40k on them and I'll get at least 50k out of them. I've had them for a year, not sure when they changed them.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 AM

I will agree with the above posts. My buddy used to run nothing but bfg all-terrains but has switched in the past year due to getting significantly less miles out of them. I have always ran nothing but bfg mud-terrains and had excellent luck but I will say my last couple sets have died 10-15K sooner than previous sets. Personally I would never run bfg all-terrains anyways due to their sandblasting nature. My buddy that used to run the all-terrains switched to mickey thompson atz's. They are a pretty good looking and performing all-terrain, but I don't know what he has been getting out of them for miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.