Super Swamper M16 vs Toyo M/T - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Super Swamper M16 vs Toyo M/T

I am in need of new tires and would like everyones thoughts or experiences with these tires. I have narrowed the list down to either the Super Swamper M16 or the Toyo M/T. Both seem to have good reviews.

If you could give me the good the bad and the ugly of each tire based on personal experience or someone elses experience it would be greatly appreciated.

It seems like people have had problems with balancing issues with the M16's. And then some say they love them and will never go to a different tire ever.

Anyway lets here what you have to say about these two tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run the Toyo MT's and i love them. Great traction and they look good. The only complaint i have is for some reason the wear on them is hit or miss. Some people I know are getting 50-60K miles on them on there diesel pickups and others me included only have around 35k and are down to the wear bars. But ill definetly be buying another set.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I`m one of those guys who got 56,000 out of set of toyo m/t`s , I have a diesel also. They are some really good tires, ride is smooth and quiet. They do get a little louder as they wear down. costly, buy worth it! I ran the 37x13.50r17 size. I ran equal in them also, Equal Tire Balancer -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated . I replaced them with a set of Mickey thompson 38x15.50r18 claws, which have been on my truck for 2 1/2 yrs and I think so far I have almost 26, 000 miles on them and they are still at 60-70% tread left on them. I think a good rule is to get your air pressure just right so the tire wears evenly across the tire. I ran the toyo`s at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. The claws I run at 35 psi. Kills your fuel mpg abit , but the tires wear alot better. I think the ss m16`s look like a good tire, I would run equeal in those for sure, I had a set of ss truxs sst and they were hard to keep balanced. I wanted to get a set of the ss m16`s for my wifes tacoma, but went with some mickey thompson, atz instaed, she drives to much for a mud tire. I say try the ss m16` not as many people running those tires!!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Has anybody tried the M16's in the snow? How did they handle deep snow? Did they slide around or seem to hold to the road? Up here in the frozen north we get enough snow that getting around can be quite a chore. And then in the spring its gets real sloppy muddy. Has anyone used either tire that lives in the great outdoors? The nearest town is 21 miles and lots of dirt roads to drive on. I need a tough durable tire. Based on these situations which one would you guys recommend.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

We get alot of crappy weather here in Indiana, and we do get a good amount and snow and ice, and and alot of rain, we have our fair share of gravel country roads also, and I will say that the toyo m/t did very well in all those areas! I have read some post on a few other sites and most who have tried the m16`s say they are good tires and would recomend them, they are really like a cross between the iroks and the boggers , I would think that they would do very well in almost any type of condition. Reviews - Interco SS-M16 Swamper SSM16 Mud Terrain Tire Reviews by Offroaders.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Review Engine Powered by ReviewPost Super Swamper M16 Off Road Tires On BTR Racing Wheels | Off-Road Magazine Article at Automotive.com Interco Super Swamper M16 Tires - Four Wheeler Magazine
Old 03-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just last week my friends shop had a customer buy 4 new tires. He was replacing a new set of M-16's that wouldn't balance (4 shops tried).
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Just last week my friends shop had a customer buy 4 new tires. He was replacing a new set of M-16's that wouldn't balance (4 shops tried).
Yeah, as you mentioned it sure seems to be a hit or miss with the M16's. I have read from other peoples reviews that they too have the same balancing issues. Where some of the tires just wouldnt balance period. Its like they are out of round or some sort of defect in the molding process. I like them but I dont want to be the guy that gets a bad set and have to wait for months to get a replacement set either.

What size of tires did your friend have on his truck?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamedoutF250 View Post
We get alot of crappy weather here in Indiana, and we do get a good amount and snow and ice, and and alot of rain, we have our fair share of gravel country roads also, and I will say that the toyo m/t did very well in all those areas! I have read some post on a few other sites and most who have tried the m16`s say they are good tires and would recomend them, they are really like a cross between the iroks and the boggers , I would think that they would do very well in almost any type of condition. Reviews - Interco SS-M16 Swamper SSM16 Mud Terrain Tire Reviews by Offroaders.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Review Engine Powered by ReviewPost Super Swamper M16 Off Road Tires On BTR Racing Wheels | Off-Road Magazine Article at Automotive.com Interco Super Swamper M16 Tires - Four Wheeler Magazine
Thanks for all the links for reviews on the M16's. I have read a few of them but there a few that are new to me too. Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you don`t mind the price tag I would just buy the toyo! toyo makes a GREAT tire!! Nothing worse than a poor set of tires! Good luck! Your welcome for the links! I think you have to always to those reviews with a grain od salt. Mickey thompson makes some really great tires also!! Nitto tires are really good ones also , but toyo owns nitto. Post up some pics when you get the new treads!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe they were 38's....my friend's shop pulled them and installed a set of Nitto's.

On the other hand, I have 37" Toyo's and love them. In fact, this is the second set of Toyo's I've bought for the truck. One of my wheels has 6oz of weight on it, one has no weight on it, and the other two are in-between. I'm impressed with the quality of the Toyo's (got 55k miles out of my last set).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.