weird tire wear problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird tire wear problem

I have 305/70/16s as seen in the pics. I have 42-44 PSI on each tire. On the fronts I have almost new tread. on the rear, it looks as though I have 1/4 tread gone. I have less than 2000 miles on these tires. Now, when I bought these tires, he only had 4. so I had 2 put on front, 2 put on the outside rears. The inners are Toyo Open country A/Ts same size but with little tread on them.

Why are the rears 3/32(12/32 front measurement, 9/32 rear measurement) different? wouldnt the fronts be more worn? I dont do burnouts, and we didnt have that much snow this year. the rears do look like they are cupping a bit on some of the tread blocks. I just dont understand it. very little miles on them, but they look worn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

prol from all the torrque of just driving and taking off/pullin trailer put alot of wear on them unlike where the front where weight just sits and steering
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I haven't had a trailer behind this truck since the tires were put on.like I said, they have no miles on them practically. Maybe 1000 miles

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App
Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Measure the outside lugs between the front and the back ones, it should be flipped (or close). And it is true about the torque. Even not doing burnouts, all the torque these trucks put down sure does a number on these tires.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
Measure the outside lugs between the front and the back ones, it should be flipped (or close). And it is true about the torque. Even not doing burnouts, all the torque these trucks put down sure does a number on these tires.
What do you mean measure the lugs? The lugs on the tires? What am i measuring to compare to? It should be flipped how? I am gonna rotate the tires this week. That wil save some of the tread. Also wool show if I get the same wear out of them.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Another thing I thought of, was I had e rated tires in A/T tread on here before these. These are D rated, which use about sidewall strength more than treadwear. But I would think that might have something to do with it.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
What do you mean measure the lugs? The lugs on the tires? What am i measuring to compare to? It should be flipped how? I am gonna rotate the tires this week. That wil save some of the tread. Also wool show if I get the same wear out of them.

Sorry, like the tire lugs towards the edge of the tire. and I mean the depth. It should be more worn in the front than in the back. My tires were looking more worn in the back than in the front but when we measured the depth it was just lower in the middle in the back, and lower on the outside on the front. Its kind of an optical illusion.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Another thing I thought of, was I had e rated tires in A/T tread on here before these. These are D rated, which use about sidewall strength more than treadwear. But I would think that might have something to do with it.

If I read your posts correctly, You have 1 old and 1 new tire on each of the read wheels? With different weight ratings?

If yes, I would bet $$$$$ its due to the combo, the tires wouldn't be getting even wear just based on differenttread depth, add in different pressures due to thinner side walls...and diferent tread patterns...

I would switch the tires so the 4 matched ones were on the rear....and the mis-matched on the front.

You should have only E rated tires on a dualy, anyway, (Or any 3/4 ton or heavier truck) IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.