New Shoes... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Shoes...

Well they finally came in! I'll make sure to get some better pics tomorrow but I did snap one while we were mounting them.
The new tires are 315x70x17 Goodyear Duratrac's and they are replacing some 285x70x17 BFG AT's. So far its an immediate improvement in snow grip and Ive noticed that where I needed 4wd before I can just cruise in 2wd now! On the highway they were a tad louder but hell, I like em that way! So for the first 12 miles they are great, I'll keep updating as I get further into the miles.
Big shout out to the guys at Discount Tire Direct, great service and awesome selection of tires! The one issue of not being able to find my ship to address was quickly resolved and your customer service rep that called me was understanding and knew what he was doing.
Check the attachment for the difference in sizing between the 285 and the 315, they are mounted on the same rim and full of air.
Attached Thumbnails
New Shoes...-tire2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's a nice height difference there. Glad you like them, I've heard nothing but but good things about the Duratracs. Its definitely in the running for when I put tires on my 08 in a couple months. Can't wait to see some more pics.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have 3000 miles on my duratracs and they still look brand new. They are great in the snow ice. We have had about 80" of snow this winter and have driven through it all
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look like a sweet tire. Cant wait to see a pic of them on the truck. Never heard of them before.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSDfreak
I think you'll love those tires. I recently installed a set on my 2009 after have many many sets of BFG T/As and I really think Goodyear hit a homerun with these Duratracs.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 AM

Nice! These tires rock out in the snow/icey stuff!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM

I got more pictures coming, I swear!!! Photobucket is being a pita!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Here we go! Pics of the Duratracs!

From the front:

From the back:

Rear Fenderwell:

Front Fenderwell (it doesn't stick out that far...)

Fills out the wheelwells nicely I think!

Where I park, its kinda like the start to a luge run!

Playing out back (18" of snow, they chewed right through it!!)

All downhill from here!

This is the road conditions... Awesome eh?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin Stroked View Post
Well they finally came in! I'll make sure to get some better pics tomorrow but I did snap one while we were mounting them.
The new tires are 315x70x17 Goodyear Duratrac's and they are replacing some 285x70x17 BFG AT's. So far its an immediate improvement in snow grip and Ive noticed that where I needed 4wd before I can just cruise in 2wd now! On the highway they were a tad louder but hell, I like em that way! So for the first 12 miles they are great, I'll keep updating as I get further into the miles.
Big shout out to the guys at Discount Tire Direct, great service and awesome selection of tires! The one issue of not being able to find my ship to address was quickly resolved and your customer service rep that called me was understanding and knew what he was doing.
Check the attachment for the difference in sizing between the 285 and the 315, they are mounted on the same rim and full of air.
Hey bud,

I'm in some need of new tires on my truck and have been seriously looking at these new Duratracs or the Toyo M/T. I got them priced today. I'm actually needing the same size 315/70/17, which is close to the 35's I have now. What do they actually measure out at? Also, how do they handle on the road? I dont have any snow where I'm at but do go offroad some but mostly on road. I hear a lot of guys saying how they feel like driving a boat on the road. Do you have that problem. How many miles do you have on them now? Thanks for your advice and help. I hate trying to find the right tire.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 PM

I am loving these tires so far, its been less than 200 miles so far though. I also was worried about the whole tracking and driving feel to them, I couldn't be happier! I have the 315x70x17 which are D rated but carry a 3195 lb load rating, they are spec'ed for 50 lbs of air but I am only running 45. I am 60/40 off road vs on and I have no issues with the tracking at all. They balanced out pretty well, one tire needed 5 oz weight, but I had them "static balanced" whatever that means in mechanic speak. The other 3 were under 2 oz weight so it was just that one tire. As you can see from the pictures I am dealing with a ton of snow and ice, these things grab like the dickens! Places where I would have had to chain at least two of the last tires I have gone through with out even thinking I was slipping. I am out in fields, I havent gotten to the point of getting stuck, but then again I didnt get stuck with the last tires either I know the limits of what and where I can go. For an example I was coming down one of the hills from my house to the main road, the ice was starting to warm up so there was a nice sheen of water on the top. As most of us know, the Florida boys might not, but water over ice is about as slick as it gets... These Duratracs marched on like it wasn't an issue, til I hit the brakes then it got fun... Thankfully the Tow/Haul switch is right there and I just used the engine instead of the service brakes, keeping everything in line and out of the ditch.
I have driven BFG AT's, Toyo MT's, Goodyear SilentArmors, Michelin's, and some cheapo knockoff tires (not all on this truck) and these Duratracs are by far the best I have ever driven on. They grab, they stick, they are predictable, relatively quiet, and everyone comments on them (mostly good, though I do work with one Libtard/Greenie that can't figure out why I have a diesel let alone a diesel with big tires guess what she drives... Starts with a "P"). I have no problems recommending these tires to anyone at all.
As for the measurements I will get those tomorrow for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.