Wheel opinons? Ya, I know..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel opinons? Ya, I know.....

I'm driving myself nuts and need to get this done. My tires are shot, but I can't decide what wheels I like the best. My goal is a somewhat subtle wheel because all I am trying to do is get to a 8 to 9" wheel over the stock 7's. Since I'm not lifting it (it's got v codes) I have to be careful and while I think 18" would be fine and look good too, I'm going to stick with a 16" for cost reasons. If I ever decide to banish it from the garage, I'll lift it.

Until then, any idea's are welcome, but here are a couple on the short list. Tires will either be Terra Grapplers od Destination AT's. The TG's I think will look better on one that the other, and on either will be fine. The Destinations may not look as good, but I know they're perform and wear as good or better than the TG's.

These are the right size 16x8 (although I'd prefer to go 8.5 or 9) and backspace, but obviously not 8 lug, and the tires are close enough for a good idea; I'll be running a 285's. One doens't have the cap or lugs. I actually like the MB cap better since it mounts from the outside vs pull thru and looks better too.

#1 and #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel opinons?  Ya, I know.....-mb-torque.jpg   Wheel opinons?  Ya, I know.....-5051-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I like the fist set of rims, and i like nitto....i think they make good tires...thats wat i run on my trucks....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Crap, I keep forgetting I don't have any profile or pics of the truck.

It's a '04 Excursion, white Eddie Bauer 4x4. V-codes so it's leveled nicly. Pic attached.

The fuzzy pic with with v-codes and the boat hooked up. The other is before v-codes and just pimped up for vanity pictures. OEM wheels and 285 REVO's.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel opinons?  Ya, I know.....-ex-vcode-640.jpg   Wheel opinons?  Ya, I know.....-e640p8270006.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda22 View Post
I like the fist set of rims, and i like nitto....i think they make good tires...thats wat i run on my trucks....
Those are MB Torque's and the 2nd set are Ultra 5051's. I wasn't interested in the Torques at all until I came across that picture of a 16" wheel and saw how short and almost non-spoke like they were. I liked the Ultra's just because they're closer to OEM's but they have that '73 Camero 60's on rear and '70's on front look from my HS days. Might be a little to subtle and old school but my 13 yr old daughter picked them.

I agree about the TG's and is what I think the Torque's wold look best with. It's makes it easy since DT would get to sell me the whole deal, and supposedly they can cut some sweet deals on the 16" Torque.....we'll see.

Thanks for the opinion. This is what I need to get may a$$ to get it done.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are these "what wheels" threads really that bad?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM

personally the first set looks like poop to me. i HATE most truck rims cause they are like that. i like the simple 5 spoke OR alcoa style rims.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86lxnotch View Post
personally the first set looks like poop to me. i HATE most truck rims cause they are like that. i like the simple 5 spoke OR alcoa style rims.
This could be another option before I double the wheel cost. I do agree and like Artillery's and 951's but 5-6 spoke 8 lug wheels have to be solid which means a lot more money.

What do you think about the 2nd above? They're like a mix of OEM and old school.

Also remember, they're going on an Excursion. If I could stretch the OEM's to 9" I'd be happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel opinons?  Ya, I know.....-mb-72.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM

the 5 spoke above or the pic yuou just posted would look good on it imo. the rims i am getting are on sale right now. imma get the 18x9's at $116.95 a piece

16x8 with 4.5 BS are 97.95 a piece

Pro Comp Wheels 1069 Polished
Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That's not bad at all. Especially for 18's. I wonder though, usually "polished" means just that, and no clear coat so they need work to keep looking good.

Of course, for that price, I could have them clear coated.

And actually, I'm pretty sure there's a guy a the 4WheelPart near me that has an Excursion with these on it! I stopped by a couple weeks ago. I'll need to go look again!

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the ones I posted are MB 72's and are 8.5's which is better. And they're clear coated. I think about the same price range, but for 16's.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM

lol no prob least ive been able to help a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.