new rims-what offset and which tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
new rims-what offset and which tires

well im saving up and almost there so now im searching for the best deal but...
my suspension is stock. i was gonna buy 20x10's but figured with the wider rim i might have rubbing issue. right?
so i was thinking about 18x9's. i want a wider stance and dont know what offset to get. i want to be about 2 inches out past stock. the offset and back spacing is confusing me.
my stock tires now measure 32.5 or so and i was looking at 33 tires. would i be able to clear a 33 by 12.5 tire without rubbing, and will the bigger offset help out or not. so just throw me some opinions or some of your experiences.

by the way. im either getting toyo open country m/t or trail grappler. which one is quieter, and better in snow if you have these tires.
thanks-my trucks actually gonna look like something soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I can't offer you any help with wheel selection cause I don't know what your later stock configuration can accept but I can tell ya Toyos all the way!! I can barely hear mine and they're all I've ever had on the truck and mine grip as well as a person who's driving sensibly in the snow needs but I've gotten aggressive and they'll still stick. Any tire is capable of breaking loose in slippery conditions, they are not there to compensate for a moron who can't drive in the white stuff. (That was just a rant in general cause I'm sure you would agree and everyone has experience with winter numbys. I just threw that in because someone is gonna spew garbage about tires and traction.)

I experienced far better control when I moved up to 20s from 16s both with a 38" tire. (Toyo open country) I'm not sure if there would be much difference with smaller tires though. I don't see why you couldn't run 20s cause you look to have 18s right now, correct? Someone "wheel" know what width and BS you could use.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Well after I think about it, you have a plow. Baseline traction performance would be a practical consideration while you shop. Still most likely only going to be opinioned based answers.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM

On my truck i have a -24 offset with a 4.5 backspacing and they stick out about 2 inches i like it. And i have 20x10's with 35s and a 2' leveling kit and they rub.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM

yup, i plow so i am familiar with driving on snow. i just wish they wouldnt plow the streets so we can drive on just snow longer.(and our trucks wouldnt be crusty white and rusting faster because of salt)

but yeah i have 18's now. i just want black rims. im doing the harley front end soon so im trying to find what rim to buy to match. 20's are more money and are wider so i didnt know if because they are wider(20x10 vs 18x9) they would have any more of a chance of rubbing.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHILF574 View Post
On my truck i have a -24 offset with a 4.5 backspacing and they stick out about 2 inches i like it. And i have 20x10's with 35s and a 2' leveling kit and they rub.
Do you have any pics? I want to run 20x10 but don't want to install a set of flares.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM

True true about driving on the snow pack rather than a plowed street that gets slick.

FWIW mine bein an '04, I can run 4.5 bs on a 10" wheel. The side lugs of the Toyos just barely get the spring at lock. They are currently 13.5s as opposed to my 14.5s that rubbed sooner. Since you won't be running as large of a diameter as I am, it may compensate. One thing that I think alot of people confuse is their definition of rubbing. Lift doesn't affect wheel width or BS. Diameter is dependent on lift size. My Dad has an '06 same wheels as yours currently and he stuffed 35" Nitto A/Ts on it. He offroads like no other in Nevada with it and they will tuck and have zero turning radius issues. That may help you right there with BS anyways if you measured your 18"s
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 AM

well what i figured with having a bigger offset to get the wheels out further, i wont rub on the radius arm(isnt that where it would rub) and the only place it would rub would be the lower valence. i think i should be able to fit it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.