Chunked my Toyos - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chunked my Toyos

Looking for opinions; are these tires toast?

I was heading up a rocky trail (yeah, street tires ) and my front hubs did not engage (I'll have another post on that.) The rears spun and tore off parts of many tread blocks, and a couple complete blocks. See photo. The damage didn't penetrate the carcass, the blocks pretty much just sheared off.

I'll be towing my 8k 5er soon, and if money were no object I'd slap new ones on. But if this is a safety issue I 'll have to bite the bullet.

I'd appreciate your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1313.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	16191   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1312.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	16192  

02 F350 Lariat 4X4 CCSB SRW 4R100 w/FTVB.Mishimoto 6.0 IC.26 row 6.0 trans cooler.6637.WW.RiffRaff FrxGen2/Plenum inserts/AIH delete/boots.Hutch.Harpoon.50 cent.Isspro EVs.Walker BTM.DP Tuner.AC mod.Mile Marker 449ss.Fumoto.DDM HID 55w 4500k.Bilsteins.Dieselsite Coolant Filter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - HL Mencken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Sorry man but there is no way in hell I would tow a 5er with those tires....I would risk driving empty MAYBE but no way would I be pulling anything.

As much as it sucks you are gonna have to bite the bullet and get some new ones. Haha there is a reason those are made for the street.

Dan's baby
2006 F250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 with 2007 CR 5.9 Cummins/built Allison swap and other goodies-sold
2015 F350 CCSB 4x4 Lariat Ultimate in Black tuxedo metallic
US ARMY VET
Operation Iraqi Freedom III (1 YR served in the good ol' sandbox)

post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM
just a number

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you buy any road hazard with them?

2006 Dually

post #4 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by igoslow View Post
Did you buy any road hazard with them?
I did not buy them, they were new on the truck when I bought it. No paperwork so I can't even know where purchased from. And yeah, I have serious doubts about them too, guess I was hoping for a Toyo engineer to say "yeah no prob" but that's wishing waaay too hard.

So I'll be searching the threads for on/off road replacement recommendations...

02 F350 Lariat 4X4 CCSB SRW 4R100 w/FTVB.Mishimoto 6.0 IC.26 row 6.0 trans cooler.6637.WW.RiffRaff FrxGen2/Plenum inserts/AIH delete/boots.Hutch.Harpoon.50 cent.Isspro EVs.Walker BTM.DP Tuner.AC mod.Mile Marker 449ss.Fumoto.DDM HID 55w 4500k.Bilsteins.Dieselsite Coolant Filter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - HL Mencken
post #5 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Garage
I agree w/armyguy209. Just making some assumptions here, but if you're towing the 5er, you probably got the family along. Wouldn't want anything to happen to them.

Owner | Operator: Darryl
My Truck Garage:

Tow Toy Garage :

United States Navy - IC2 - '76-'80
post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM

nitto all terrains are a good choice for an aggressive-ish street tire, and not very expensive either.

2005 F-250 CC FX4
SCT-Dyno Tuned by DJ/Gearhead/Innovative - Still running strong!!

14.41 in the 1/4 mile

4" MBRP / Volant Intake / Accufab / Autometer Gauges
Trusted Performance Stage 1 w/Crossover
Liberator Performance o-ringed heads
5.5" DR with 5" DR plush rides
1" CJC Traction Blocks
36" Mud Country's
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
I agree w/armyguy209. Just making some assumptions here, but if you're towing the 5er, you probably got the family along. Wouldn't want anything to happen to them.
Yep, thanks for the reality check Darryl! Once upon a time I'd drive one these with hardly a second thought, but now... I can afford new tires, and better safe than sorry for all the others counting on me to do the right thing.

The Nittos look good, but I want a large dealer network. No knowing where I might be when I need service/warranty on them. Leaning to Firestone Transforce AT at the moment, any opinions? Mostly a tow rig, the tires just gotta take the occasional 4X4 beating.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 PM

id be pretty upset doesnt look like a very quality tire if that happend. Id look at michelens and good years both great for towing.

1997 350 7.3 dump truck/Work Truck
2008 350 Reg Cab
H an S 300 tune
Flo pro egr delete with elbow
Flo pro 5 inch turbo back
s an b intake
Cat ELC
Ready Lift 3.5 sst kit
20inch Platinum wheels
Much more to come!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 PM

ive got the general grabber a/t on my work truck and i tow all the time with it and go onto jobsites and gravel pits and have no real problems. the added bonus of working well in the rain and being snow rated was a good plus too.

2006 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 PSD 6 spd, ARP, IPR Gen 2 with up pipe, BD Diesel boot kit with metal cold side intercooler tube
2008 f350 Reg cab SRW flat deck 5.4l for work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode