Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Can you put a 13.50" wide tire on 8" wide rims?

16K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Snake 
#1 ·
First of all are the factory 18" rims on my 05 F350 8" wide?

Second can I put a 13.50" tire on 8" wide rims?

My 05 still has the tires it left the factory with. But due to my left foot and erics tuning they are finally worn out and need to be replaced. Before winter comes around I am going to put a 2.5" leveling kit on my truck and some 35/12.50/18 nitto trail grapplers.

But in the mean time my buddy has a set of 35/13.50/18 procomp x terrains that he said I can have. They are 40% right now so I was thinking about putting them on my truck since they are free untill I finish saving up the money I need for the new tires I want. I looked on procomps website and they recommend putting those 35/13.50/18 tires on a 8-12" rim. So I dont think I will have a problem besides the tires maybe wearing funny.

Also I have heard others say you can definately fit a 35" tire on a 05 with no leveling kit. Is that true? and does anybody think I will have a problem with a 35/13.50 tire on a non leveled truck?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Avatar is kinda small but it looks like the factory five-spoke rims. Answer to that one is, yes, they are 8" wide. I now have 18" factory rims off an '06 and they are 8". My '05 came with 17" wheels which were 7.5" wide. If in doubt, look at the data plate/sticker on your drivers door. It should tell you what you have. I know if you see a "7.5J" that's indicating a 7-1/2" rim. I'm not sure what it says on the 18" supplied trucks since mine didnt have one.

As far as putting that wide of a tire on an 8" wide rim; I'm sure you can fit it on there but I'm not too sure that I would. You're probably gonna get a lot of sidewall bulge and not the best wear on the tread either. Especially as heavy as these trucks are.

#3 ·
13.5" wide tire on an 8" rim is kinda pushing it.

Granted I ran for years a 12.5" wide on a 7" stock rim with no problems - so its kinda the same situation.

#4 ·
No you cant run a 13.5 inch wide tire on an 8 inch rim. Especially if you plan on towing with it.

Thats just asking for trouble:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.