Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Diesel + Sand + Towing = Help

984 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bigcountrysg 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to posting here but I've been poking my nose on the forum for a while now.

This weekend I'm going to be heading to my friend's cottage on Lake Erie. I'll be taking my friend's Aquatrax jet ski with my 2000 7.3L F-250 4x4. I am running LT305/70R16 Toyo Open Country A/T's. I just had a limited slip installed on my rear axle.

Here's the deal, the jet ski trailer has very narrow tires. I have to load and unload the jet ski from the beach (no boat launch) You guys have any tips as to what can help me do this without burying myself? I've seen a lot of stuff saying to air down to 10psi but I'm not sure if that's okay for the weight of my truck. I did this a couple years ago with my Ranger with 0 problems but my Ranger had a limited slip in the rear and a locker up front running BFG 33"x10.5"R15 A/T's.

Am I just being paranoid and this will end up being a simple mission or should I be worried? Any help will be appreciated.

Below is a pic of me doing this with my Ranger a couple years ago.

See less See more
#2 ·
Air down to 20-30 psi also air down the trailer tires. Your truck will be fine at this tire pressure. I run 20 psi on Silver lake sand dunes all weekend long with no damage to the tires.

I would be more concerned with launching the Jet Ski from the beach. I hope the DNR or any other LEO doesn't see this. Being I am from Michigan I can not believe there is no boat launch near by that you can use.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the help. I'll drop my tires to 20psi as well as lower the trailer tires.

The cottage is in Canada and the nearest boat launch is bout 2-3 miles away and even then I'm not sure if it's private or not. We'll be launching from my friend's property / beach.

#5 ·
How is Silver Lake by the way? I always wanted to take my Ranger there when I had it. I took my Ranger to Mt. Morris a couple times. That truck was a blast there, especially with the front locker I had installed.

I've had great luck in the winters and in some mud with this truck even before my limited slip install. I always wanted to take it out and see what it could do and Silver Lakes seems like a nice place to take it. I like the idea of sand instead of mud.

Are you running an open diff up front at Silver Lake?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.