what do you guys do for a spare tire? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what do you guys do for a spare tire?

I just installed a set of mickey thompson 315/70/17 on my 2003 f250 crew cab 7.3L truck. My question is what does everyone do for a spare? Currently i have a 285/75/16 under the truck. Im assuming i could run this tire in an emergency to get me home or to a tire shop, if i put the small tire on the front. I know i deffinetly wouldnt want it in the rear. I know it would like horrible but if i didnt use 4x4 would it be causing any damage?

Also whats the largest tire i can fit on a 16in rim under the truck? Im wondering if i could squeeze a 315/75/16 under there how that would be as a spare, since it would be closer to the 17's than the current 285/75/16.

Thanks for any ideas or info
mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I took mine out, im not going to run anything on it if its not the same size, so whats the point of the extra weight.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM

you can fit a 35" in the stock location. Thats what i've done on all my trucks since my 99. If i was you i would just put a 315/70/17 on your spare rim and call it a day. Even on my 09 i keep a 35 in the stock location. And thats one of the main reasons i don't run anything bigger then a 35", I like a have a full size spare and not take up bed space

Edit: saw its a 16" for you spare. And a 315/75/16 fits the rim just fine and fits in the stock location even with a 4" exhaust. Thats what i used on my 99 and 01

Last edited by wired1; 07-11-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:01 PM

We all need a spare - for that one rare chance that one of our heavy duty tires do actually get a flat! I havent had a flat on my truck since I bought it almost 150,000 miles ago - but you never know.

As far as the height difference in the tires - the general rule of thumb is if you get a flat on the rear, put the spare on the front and move the front to the flat location in the rear.

Reason is with our unlockable front axles - it allows the front to spin at different rates and not screw anything up. Do this for a short distance only. Enough to get to a facility to get the tire hopefully plugged and back on or all together replaced if your so lucky.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
on the front as long as you didn't lock the hubs or engage the 4 wheel drive you would be fine . Even on the rear end to get a few miles would be ok , kinda like the mini spares some cars come with . That being said I wouldn't go far . You would risk messing up the clutches if your truck has a posi (limited slip) rear end . If you have an open rear end it would be fine .
Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 PM

i have a full size spare.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a full size 38 in spare. I had a mount built in the bed. My truck is pretty much as worthless as $%^% on a boar anyway as far as towing and what not so i don't care about bed space. It's my toy. I only put it in on long distances. Have not had to use it so far.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

How did you guys get a 35" under there? I have tried and it ain't even close? My 4" exhaust is right up against my shock too? Hits it in fact. I still have my factory spare.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
haha, how about a few cans of fix a flat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.