Rear brakes - repair info needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Rear brakes - repair info needed

Had a right rear brake caliper come apart on me this evening. Won't know exactly what all is screwed up till I tear it all apart. Looks like either the caliper piston broke or the seal failed on it. Tore up the rotor, not sure how bad the caliper is.

To the best if my knowledge, I don't think I have ever done rear disc brakes. Anything special I need to know when installing new rotor, caliper, and pads? An special tools required? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No special tools are required. I cant remember the socket sizes of the top of my head but rear brakes on these trucks are very easy.

Two bolts to remove and the caliper comes off. Another 2 bolts to remove the caliper mount bracket and you will be able to remove the rotor. If you have to replace your caliper there is a standard banjo fitting with two copper washers. It is good practice to replace those copper washers when installing the new caliper. I dont think it is absolutely necessary but its up to you. Also make sure you lube up the slide pins on the caliper well when you reinstall it.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 05charcoal6.0
x2 to what 6.0dslpwr said. I would also like to throw in that when you lube up the slides for the caliper use slide pin lube and not the brake pad lube. the brake pad lube will just deterioate unlike the slide pin lube. I'd hate to see someone do the job twice because the caliper doesnt slide and causes problems down the road.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Found the problem, time to go get parts. Any suggestions on pads? I may just have to put something on from the parts house for now. Would like to do Hawk pads, but no time to order good ones.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 05charcoal6.0
I have the hawks right now on factory rotors and im really starting not to like them. I know the monroes are good or just the regular ford pad is what i might go to. But i know other people that like the hawks but im just giving my two cents from my own experience.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So far I have only changed the front pads on my truck once. I went with napa pads because I was in a hurry and that is all they had in stock. I absolutely hate them, they are the worst pads ever.

If you guys find any good pads let me know. I was thinking about trying the hawk pads or maybe those EBC pads you see advertised in all the magazines. Only problem is I will need to order them before I actually need them to allow for shipping time. If all else fails I will go back to raybestos pads. Used them many times in the past and never had a problem with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.