Wheel and Tire Size Recommendations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel and Tire Size Recommendations

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out before I make an expensive mistake.

I'm trying to upgrade the wheels and tires on my stock 2006 F250 King Ranch (18" wheels, not the 20"x8's I've read about).

After digging around for what's felt like years (it's probably just been months), I've got my heart set on a set of XD Series Diesel (766) wheels in a 20x10 size. The offset listed is -24. TireRack.com is recommending 275/65R20 tires to go with it (I prefer BFG ATs).

My principle reason for doing this is to give the truck a more aggressive stance. I'm not sure if the offset combined with the increased wheel width will really do that but if not, as far as I understand it I could add some spacers to get that effect.

The problem I'm having is I just can't find enough information to confirm/deny that this wheel and tire configuration will actually fit on my truck without a lift. I'm forced to park the truck in a garage and I'm concerned about having to do a lift on top of the larger tires.

Does anyone know if the 20x10s with -24 offset and 275/65R20 tires will fit without a lift on an otherwise stock 2006 F250 King Ranch 4x4? Better yet, is it wise to do so?

Many thanks,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Premium Member

If your "stock" 06 KR has 18's on it, it's not quite stock. The factory wheels are 20 X 8, there is no 18" wheel for an 06 KR.

The tires you are looking at are the same size as factory (for 20's) and will be perfect, but the wheel size is no good. That tire should be on an 8" wide wheel, the fit is perfect. Adding 2" to the width is going to cause problems for sure.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^Agreed. That is the stock tire size for the factory 20x8 inch rim. I would not go over 20x9 with a tire that size.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. When it comes to wheels and tires, I'm more prone to mistakes than many. I went back to my truck after work and took the pictures below. The wheels on it are definitely 18s.

I hear your concern about the 20x10s. The offset is about an inch which, if I understand this right, would be roughly the same as a 20x9 with no offset. Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Sorry Andrew, I forgot about that wheel. Each of the 3 KR's I was looking at before I bought my Harley had the 20's, and the other 3 special packages (Harley, Amirilo, and Outlaw) only came with 20's.

Previous comments still apply. Even 9" is really too wide for 275/65-20's. 8" wide is what you want. If you go with a 9" wide, your side walls will be pushed out and your tread won't be flat unless you over inflate, although Tirerack says 9" wide will work with that tire and max wheel width is 9.5" wide. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would go with a 20x9, that offset prolly wont work stock height, -24 is a wide stance. If it was me I would do a leveling kit with 35x1250x20. Here is my old truck with a 20x10 kmc -12 offset and liked the stance.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post
I hear your concern about the 20x10s. The offset is about an inch which, if I understand this right, would be roughly the same as a 20x9 with no offset. Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Actually it wont be the same. THe 10" will already stick out 1/2 inch further, and then add the 24mm of negative offset it will stick out almost another inch. I have almost the same size wheel on my truck. The only difference is mine is -25mm offset. I am running a 325/60-18 wth a 2" leveling kit and still have some slight rubbing but nothing too bad since I harldly ever offroad. Hope this helps. You can find the cheap leveling kits on eBay for about $40.

I have this one: 2005-2009 FORD SUPERDUTY F-250 350 2" LEVELING KIT LIFT : eBay Motors (item 330380363986 end time May-23-10 10:00:53 PDT)
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's what mine looks like:
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Actually knowing that someone has installed a configuration and has gotten it to work helps a lot.

No worries about the 18s vs. 20s WLDHRSE. I've looked at the Harley Editions from time to time so I knew the F250 could at least arrive from the factory with 20s (though I didn't know they were 8" wide).

Here's what I'm thinking now based on everyone's advice. First, I measured my garage and I have a little over 9" of clearance left (somewhat more than I'd thought just by eyeballing it). Instinct tells me that going from 18s to 20s, from 275/65 to 285/65 and adding a 2"-2.5" leveling kit shouldn't increase my truck's height more than that. Anyone agree?

Not knowing exactly how much offset was required to get the look I wanted led me to more offset than my cattle ranch truck would probably look good with. I'm thinking a -12 offset will look great which means I'm back to some Moto Metal MO950's instead of the KMC Diesels (did I mention this process seems to never end). No big change there except that the MO950s appear to be in stock whereas the Diesels are backordered.

BFG AT KOs don't appear to come in 35x12.5x20. The closest I can find are 35x11.5x20 (LT285/65R20). I'm not sure why TireRack.com didn't suggest this in the first place, but 4wheelparts.com has them and the MO950s so I'll probably go with them.

Last (thanks for your patience with the rookie) comes the leveling kit that I'm now going to add to this setup. I've actually looked at these in the past because I think the brush guard I installed sags the front end too much to look good. Trouble is, these kits seem to vary wildly in price. Is there really anything different between three options like the ones below?

$40
$99
$230

Thanks again guys. BTW, mohlson, your new ride is sick. Nice upgrade!

Last edited by aeberhar; 04-27-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: I can't spell or proof anything.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Premium Member

Check back at TireRack for 325/60-20. That's what I was going to get until I looked at the price and decided I could drop back to 18's and get wheels and tires for a little more than the cost of 20" tires.

Not sure if Rough Country has the correct pic in that $99 ad. I wouldn't see how a square spacer could be usable, but don't know. The $50 spacer is nothing more than that. It's probably functional, but I think you would need longer shocks. That $230 spacer looks like a higher quality spacer, plus new rubber spring pads and shock extenders which would allow you to keep your factory shocks. I've never done a leveling kit and don't know exactly how the springs sit and are held in place, so I don't know which I would go with, option 1 or 3. I will be tearing mine apart in a couple weeks to throw a Pro-Comp 6" at it. I'll figure it out then I'm sure. I would think option 3 would be the best bet, but if you want to go a little cheaper option 1 should work well.

If you have 9" of clearance, a leveling kit and 35's is not going put you up high enough to worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.