Rear brake issue, 2 different techs, no answer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Rear brake issue, 2 different techs, no answer?

I have posted a short version of this in Ohio chapter but I want to give a full breakdown here and try to get some ideas, so here goes.

I had new pads/rotors put on the rear of my 05 F250 at 101K in November, I just rolled 105K and since then my rear brakes have been having some serious issues. When I drive mainly freeway miles my rear brakes are usually fine, I drive 30miles each way, to and from work, but I have yet to have any issues from just the highway drive there. EXCEPT if I end up going downtown into stop and go traffic; in that case, my rear brakes lock in the braking position, but not to the point of skidding, just shuttering or to the point of burning brake pad smells and the wheels getting too hot to touch.

This happens almost anytime I have driven the truck more then just freeway miles. The other day it happened when I left the gym and drove 10 mins freeway, got off, hit 4 lights and parked. They were so hot I could not even leave my hands on the rear wheels, then I put furniture in my bed and drove 10 mins freeway, then stop and go. At this point my truck smelled like it was going to catch fire.

The rear brakes had gotten so hot that when I was stopped at lights or even driving 25mph in the subdivision, I could smell the pads burning. When I finally got home, the rotors were not red like nascar style BUT the smell was awful, and the wheels were covered in the brass/copper color of the brakes burning.

I have taken it to 2 different mechanics and neither are able to diagnosis it. Both have taken the wheels off and nothing catches or moves different. But I did buy new remanned calipers to get installed.

The Advancedauto guy told me it could very well be my brake lines and fluid getting stuck in the calipers and locking them closed?

What do people on here think? Calipers, lines, master cylinder? ABS?

The truck has 105K on the original rear rotors, but I really do not want to drop a ton of cash on this. 100 for the calipers, and probably 100 for labor, but I am looking for peoples input on here in case it would be better to trade back down to an F150.

I lifted my F250 Screw, EGR full delete, Custom Tunes, Intake, and full exhaust, and gauges getting installed next weekend, all since owning it, so I would really lose some coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Im not a brake expert by any means but by reading what is happening, it does sound like a brake fluid issue.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks boss. I am getting new soft lines and calipers installed tonight/tomorrow and am picking it up Saturday to drive all over town to see if I feel its fixed. Naturally with those all going in, the lines will be fully drained of old fluid, so I am feeling confident this will fix it.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Keep us posted.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My right rear has been doin this the past month..gotten home 2 times and smoke was Rollin out the rift rear tire...gotta take the time to pull the caliper off and look her over
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would look closely at two things. The fluid, but also the rubber lines. brake lines have an inner and outer lining. If the inner lining collapses, it will let fluid go to the caliper, but it returns very slowly. On the highway it has time to bleed back and the brakes / wheels cool. In stop and go traffic, it doesnt have time to bleed back to the master cylinder. It is much easier to feel in the front since it is isolated to one wheel. I would suspect the main line that is attached to the top of the axle.

Not a professional mechanic, but had this happen to me and several friends.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. Mechanic is swapping soft lines and calipers today. I ll pick her up tomorrow. He said he figured it was one of the 2 above mentioned, soft lines or calipers and was just going to replace them both. And then obviouslly the fluid too.

WIll keep updated, thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Both of my rears were hanging up whith about 54k. Replaced both calipers and pads with no problems since. Now one of my front ones are hanging up with only 57k. Gonna have new brakes all the way around with less than 60k on the clock. Not impressed. That should fix your problem.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Being it was the back brakes, another thing that you might check would be if the parking brake is hanging up. They use the same material just inside the drum but it's all one part so if they got hung up it would cause the whole thing to heat up.

Now being that it happens mostly in stop start as stated above calipers, brake lines specially if the truck is lifted, but the abs pump could be malfunctioning or plugged.

Calipers are usually the easiest to diagnose. Look at the thickness of the pads. If the caliper is hung up then the inside shoe will have less pad on it then the outside because the caliper is not moving so the stopping is being done by the inside pad.

Last edited by mtjohnson; 04-09-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 AM

Your problem is most likely being caused by water in the brake fluid.The water is absorbed by contact with the atmosphere,then settles in the lowest part of the brake system.( In the OLD days ,this was very obvious to see ,as it was common to rebuild brake cylinders by honing them out to remove the rust pitting in the brake pistons.) caused by water in the lines
When your traveling down the road ,not using the brakes very often,there is enough airflow to keep the water from reaching the boiling point.When your in slower traffic,the water is turning to steam and keeping pressure on the brake callipers...even if there is only water on one side it can affect both sides.

Whenever I do brake pads or brake drums, I observe the following simple rules.
I always do a complete flush and bleed of all the brake lines.
I always use brake fluid that is new with a known origin.
Never leave the brake master cylinder uncovered for more than a few minutes.
If there is an internal cover in the master cylinder,make sure its put back in place(it reduces condensation in the master cylinder.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

Last edited by mrnecsteve; 04-10-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.