I want military tires.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want military tires....

I've decided I want to give the military 36"/37" tires a try. The only question I have is where to get 16.5 rims to run them. Will the hummer rims fit on the truck, or are there going to be backspacing issues? Anyone have pics?

I really don't care what the rims look like....just want them to be cheap. I just need someone to tell me what I need! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Coming from a guy in the military, I've always wondered why everyone thinks that the military tires are so great.
They are ok at best in the mud and muck, but are borderline deadly in snow and ice. The new radials don't wear that well, and they are all extremely loud on the highway.

I can't answer your questions, sorry, just putting out what I know about the tires.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

I just put some 37-12.50-16.5 Goodyear wrangler MT military OZ tires on and they are great. The ride is just as good as the BFG's that were on previous. The only problem was with the tire shop getting the bead to seat. I have Mickey Thompson classics 16.5 rims on mine. When these wear out I will be getting some more, at over half price I am very please!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 AM

you should be able to get a set of cragar soft 8's from summit for around 75 bucks a wheel that will work. The military wheels will not work.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM

I'd like to know where I can find some black 16.5" wheels too.. all I can find are expensive centerlines or cheap chrome ones.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM

umm im pretty sure i just told you where you could find them. And soft 8's are not cheap wheels just ebcause they are low cost. They are very strong and used very heavily in the offroad community. I actually use them on my 1 ton toyota but in a 17. they aren't a flashy wheel but do actually look pretty good.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

I had a set of Michilan XL 37x16 on a obs 250 gasser, and they sucked in everything excect deep snow or mud. I could not hear myself think with them on. Wear was ok, LR G. Got them with 75% tread life on them, and in 35000 miles had about 50% tread left.

After I went threw a bunch of wheel bearings and suspension problems, I will keep to my stock tire size. I got tired of always working on the truck.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can get them the same place drug cartels get their guns. Steal it from a National Guard truck lol. On a serious note: Why on earth would you want to put worthless equipment on your truck?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM

They are pretty much worthless, friend of mine took them out from under his hummer and runs some toyo mt wich are way better tires... the only place military tires are so good is in deep fresh snow since their so narrow.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne6335 View Post
I had a set of Michilan XL 37x16 on a obs 250 gasser, and they sucked in everything excect deep snow or mud. I could not hear myself think with them on. Wear was ok, LR G. Got them with 75% tread life on them, and in 35000 miles had about 50% tread left.

After I went threw a bunch of wheel bearings and suspension problems, I will keep to my stock tire size. I got tired of always working on the truck.
I had some 44" XL's on my 06 recently. The tires ride very well and wear really slow. My only problem is that they were extremely loud (puts mud grapplers to shame) and it was pretty hard to find someone that could balance them due to their size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.