Mickey Thompson ATZs... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Wheels, Tires, and Brakes Here's where you can post all your topics and questions about wheels, tires and brakes.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
a truck

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Mickey Thompson ATZs...

are not very impressive when it comes to snow. Im actually pretty dissapointed in their performance with even an inch of snow.

With the BFG ATs on my OBS I could run through 4 or so maybe more inches of snow in 2 wheel drive and not slip unless I gave it a good amount of throttle. Just driving cautiously I didnt have to worry about slipping.

Now with these ATZs on my new truck I seriously cant even go through a dusting of snow in 2 wheel drive. The truck just immediately starts sliding even if its just idling. I have to go into 4 wheel drive no matter how much snow is on the ground.

I would have thought that being an all terrain tire they would have performed better than that. Dont get me wrong in 4x4 these tires do great in the snow but in 2 wheel drive they are good for nothing unlike my BFGs where I didnt need to worry about 4x4 unless it was heavy snow. So looks like thats what will be going on next for me. I just like to use 4x4 as little as possible if I dont need to use it.

Just wondering if anyone else had this experience with these since they are so popular. Not saying the tires are bad Im just surprised with how poorly they can grip in snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My old man had a set of 37s that came with his '03 f250 when he got it.
They don't look to good for snow, since they have a ton of surface area, and huge lugs.
As of now they are actually sitting in my barn, in brand new condition on some 18" wheels.

BTW, i'm going to shoot you a PM about installing the TTB drop brackets.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Beast View Post
My old man had a set of 37s that came with his '03 f250 when he got it.
They don't look to good for snow, since they have a ton of surface area, and huge lugs.
As of now they are actually sitting in my barn, in brand new condition on some 18" wheels.

BTW, i'm going to shoot you a PM about installing the TTB drop brackets.
Sounds good man

yeah all the surface area makes it pretty obvious that they arent going to be as good, I just thought they would be better than that, being in an area where it snows half the year having a good snow tire is important and the BFG is a ton better. Ive never been too impressed with Mickey Thompson, My 86 came with a set of baja belteds and those are by far the crappiest tire Ive ever had, but Ive never had a set of MTZs so I cant comment on those.

The ATZ is loud tire too
Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

I love my ATZ all I can really say about them in the snow is that they dont have as much gap between the treads. The spacing is bigger, but I think there is more rubber touching the ground. Now I will say that I have run both BFG's and MT in the snow and I can go through much more with the MT ATZ's (in 4x4). But I cant say that I noticed any problems in 2wd. I was back home in KS this winter and there was snow; didnt have any trouble in 2wd.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 PM
a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred_stroker View Post
I love my ATZ all I can really say about them in the snow is that they dont have as much gap between the treads. The spacing is bigger, but I think there is more rubber touching the ground. Now I will say that I have run both BFG's and MT in the snow and I can go through much more with the MT ATZ's (in 4x4). But I cant say that I noticed any problems in 2wd. I was back home in KS this winter and there was snow; didnt have any trouble in 2wd.
Really?

Huh well thats weird cuase I had the opposite experience. lol

Especially when I was way up north snowmobiling this week. I just remember with my OBS and my friends dads duramax that hauled all the sleds up to their house the last snowmobiling trip that ran BFGs as well. We drove through a blizzard using 2wd the whole time. There was a strom when we drove up this week and if I stopped that truck would not move again unless I was in 4x4. I was really dissapointed with the tires. I had to put it in 4x4 to get around my friends driveway yesterday that had 3" of snow on it from not being shoveled cause just trying to inch up it in 2wd I couldnt get any traction
Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Can't say much about snow, since I'm out in the desert. BF's put in work, sand, gravel, mud,they are very quiet on the highway, and when it rains out here,they hold.
Not the best looking tires, but for sure the best A/T's out there.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
a truck

I have only ran BFGs and ATZs but I have to agree that BFGs are the best Ive had or seen from other people I know have ran
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I dont like the atz's, I have the mtz's and they are the best tire I have ever owned.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
a truck

yeah see I feel like I would be a lot happier with the MTZs if I stuck with mickey thompson
Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

tire for tire, are the MTZ's you are running a wider/bigger tire than your BFG's you had? just curious because comparing say a 285 BFG at to a 315 or a 325 MTZ will be like comparing apples to oranges. Personally, i hate the BFG's my truck came with, but they are pretty worn..... either or, they're a good looking tire, i find if i'm in any sort of snow, i can't get out of my own way with my BFG's in 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.