Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cooper discoverer stt pro or bfg atko2

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  mikeb01453 
#1 ·
Torn between the two, I've had the original bfg at tako and they were decent. These would be on my stock 17 dually rims. I specifically want snow traction as my current continentals are terrible in the snow. Has anyone happen to have run both in the snow and which do you prefer. The stt pros are really sweet looking, and I've run other coopers in the past and they were great. Any input is appreciated

#2 ·
I have run the original at ko for years and like them but the new ones are different and i have not run them nor the stt.
cooper makes a good tire then so does bfg
I would probably go with the best treadwear warranty IF you can get anyone to honor a tread wear warranty on what they deem "flotation" size tires
not sure that hels you but at least its a bump :look:

#3 · (Edited)
I have ran both tires on my truck but neither in snow because I have a set of studded 35x12.5x20 Nitto Exo Grapplers that I run in winter.
My BFG's were 325/60R20 and my STT Pro's are 37x13.5x22, so the sizes are quite a bit different.
The biggest difference I notice between the two tires is the highway tread noise, the STT Pro's are quite loud where the BFG's were quiet.

#5 ·
Are we talking hear them over the mbrp exhaust and radio loud?

#7 ·
Thanks for the input, definitely something to consider for sure

#9 ·
clover, do you put on a ton of miles or do they not have a great tread life? Also how are they in snow and ice? Its really between these 2 tires, i liked my old bfg's but tread life wasnt great and side wall was a little soft, ive heard they have changed the sidewall though. Ive had older cooper discovers and they were a real nice solid tire. I usually have my radio on and have a catless exhaust, so if you cant hear the tires over that then it wont bother me. They are a real nice looking tire though. Also how is the sidewall strength?

#10 ·
FWIW, I agree with everybody on the loud aspect. It doesn't bother me, but these are the first tire that I'd ever run other than an old set of Boggers that I thought "holy crap these are loud". I ran the older STTs in the past (which I believe Clover is referencing) and never heard a peep from them and LOVED them across all aspects....but these Pros are a little different story

wear--ok so far....have 15k on mine and still have lots to go

As far as traction....

dry traction--good
trail/offroad--great
snow performance--great
ice traction--requires some adjustment to your driving style--with this aspect I was disappointed with the Pros....the older style gripped like Velcro, even on ice...but these aren't as grippy. They still helped me pull my sled trailer around this winter, it just required more thought and throttle control than usual.

For folks wondering what I'm talking about as far as old vs. new.

Older STTs

STT Pros

#11 · (Edited)
From your experience so far would you buy them again? I don't plow but I do snowmobile as well so obviously I need to be able to get around without getting stuck in the snow. Currently have Hancook dynapro ht and I'm not a fan but that's what the truck came with

#13 ·
Would I buy again? Eh.....if the price was right. I'm going to try to find the old design ones again when I need my next set....I was like Cloverleaf and always averaged at least 45-55k miles, and couldn't be happier with them. These bite a lot harder in the loose dirt, but this truck doesn't see that kind of travel much anymore. They were great in the loose snow, but the ice traction leaves a bit to be desired

#14 ·
Well if the ice traction isn't great I might lean the bfg route then, that tire has awesome reviews in the snow and ice. It's unfortunate as I did love my old coopers

#15 ·
I love the tread pattern of the coopers, the bfg at ta ko 2 are decent, the original at ta ko had a softer sidewall which I didn't care for

#16 · (Edited)
I just took the stock Continentals off my F350 and put on the BFG TA KO2's. I am really pleased, so far with them, after about a month. I have been back up on the national forest roads, gravel, pavement, slop and no issues whatsoever. They are as quiet as the stock Continentals were which really surprised me when looking at the tread design. Noise is not a problem. My only beef with the tire is that is has zero mileage warranty. I realize that this is the type of tire that some people will beat the p.... out of and then complain or want a warranty on a failure, but it is what it is. Obviously, no snow yet, but will be put to the test here in central Oregon this winter. As it is snow rated / approved, I don't think there should be any issue with this tire. Handling is very good, tires are sticky. Never did experience any of the "mold release" problems others talked about. Ride is very comfortable. I would not hesitate to buy these again. Mine were 275 X 70 X 18 tires and got from Costco for $961 out the door. I think Michelin / BFG got this tire really dialed in this time.

#17 ·
Im leaning towards the coopers, I have to assume there are a ton of people out there in colder climates that run a mud based tire, the snow reviews are decent, and i loved my last set of coopers. The two things i hated about my old BFG's was the tread wear (the rears didnt hold up great), and the sidewall strength, they seemed to be a little wishy washy in my opinion. So i think the pros will be my next tire and I will be sure to revisit this thread and let people know how they do for me.

Reactions: nighthawk285
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.