Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

295/70-18 vs 35x12.5-18 for general purposes.

14K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Canadian Mind 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. To start off, I have a 12 F250 XLT CCSB FX4, with PSD, on stock size 275/70-18LT's. I was dead set on raising it a couple inches in the front and back, and putting 35's on. But just recently, I've realized I'm about to start using the truck to tow, a lot more than I have, before. Just pulling my 35' travel trailer (gestimate about 8-8.5K) on a 500 mile trip, I got around 11mpg. And this is on a deleted truck. Not very happy about that, but that's another story. The other issue is where I'm trying to build on some property I have and theres not really a road, yet. In the winter it stays wet and I need some decent tires that will get me across a rain soaked field. I do realize the truck is going to sink some, regardless, due to the weight. I had been using another truck for this, but I need to use this one, now. Due to the towing, I'd rather keep the stock ride height and go for the slightly smaller 295's. Will this tire get me near as far in the slick stuff, as the 35x12.5? Would the fuel mileage suffer enough to make this decision easier? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm going to be getting new tires, within the month. Thanks.

#3 ·
Yeah, I was thinking of an aggressive all terrain, or possibly a mud terrain. I was just wondering if the little bit of height and width was worth it, but it sounds like it may not be that much of a difference. I know I could run all over the place, in my 1/2 ton 4x4, with terra grapplers, but I'm sure this truck is going to sink down, a good bit. I went across in my old 98 K2500 a few weeks ago and almost didn't make it out, and I'm sure the Ford is a good bit heavier.

#5 ·
If my truck wasn't lifted 3.5", I'd run a 295 over the 35x12.5 18's I got now. Better mpg, less flinging stuff on the side of the truck, digs down w/ more psi on the footprint. And the tow rating are better.

#6 ·
This is what I'm thinking, right now. I wanted the look of a slight lift and 35's but if I can get where I need to go, with a little less meat, I think that's the best choice for me, especially with the revelation of some long towing miles.

Now the choice comes for a tire.

#7 · (Edited)
Really like my 285/75 R18 Toyo Open County A/T IIs. They aren't technically a 35 inch tire, but were 34.8 inches tall brand new. Weight capacity of 4000lbs per tire. Only raised the overall height of the truck by about an inch. The narrower profile helps them fit without rubbing, and they seem to wander a bit less than a wider tire.

The only thing they aren't good or great at is snow/ice traction. They wear very well whether towing or not, have great dry pavement traction, good wet traction, great trail traction, and good mud traction. When aired down they can be squirmy, but when aired up for towing they are very stiff.

Reactions: msrockyblue
#8 ·
I think I'm gonna go with the 295. It's right in between the 12.50 and the 275, that's on it, now. Now, I'm looking at 18x9 rims. The one's I want have an option of +12mm or -12mm. I'm thinking the -12mm. Will these stick out, too far?

#10 ·
Do you just want new rims? I'm sure on a leveling kit, the 295/70's will fit fine on the stock wheels. Guys run 35x12.5 on then even tho it's not recommended width for a 12.5" wide tire

#11 ·
Yeah, I want the rims for looks. My truck has the camper package, so it's already level.

#12 ·
My dad has the toyo at2 extremes in 295/70r18. Quiet on the road but slightly worse in the the mud rhan expected. I plan on going with the toyo Mt in a 285/70/18 when my tires wear, definitely worth considering given your goals.

And as far as wheels go, my dad has 18x9's with 4.5in back spacing (-12 offset), and with bushwhacker fender flares it looks great. Great stance, and good protection from the flares.

#17 ·
You had issues with the A/T IIs in the mud? I thought they did very well, though I do have the Xtremes. The larger blocks and groves probably make a difference.

#20 ·
Still have sipes so far. At 10/32s average, brand new they were 17/32s.

Nitto is owned by Toyo, hence similar tread patterns when you compare A/T to A/T, M/T to M/T etc. Nitto does have a larger selection, but my impression is that Toyo is meant to be the premium tire where Nitto and Toyo share similar patterns.

#19 ·
Yeah, I was looking into the AT2's. I had heard all good on them. Now I'm leaning towards Nitto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.