Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Biggest tires for Dually

55K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  Horizon122 
#1 ·
As the title says, im trying to figure out what the biggest size tire is that i can fit on my dually without rubbing. The truck is an 05 drw 4x4 that has a 2.5" level on it with factory 17" rims. Im not opposed to spacers in the rear, i just dont want any rubbing, especially when hauling. Thanks for any input guys

#2 ·
Well personally I would like to go with some BFG All Terrain TAKO2's. Ive found some 265/70/17's, 285/70/17's, and 305/65/17's. Currently my truck has 265's on it, but id like to fill the wheel wells up a bit without rubbing of course. I know the 265's will work. I assume the 285's will work with a smaller spacer (ideally one which allows me to use my stock wheel studs), would 305's work without rubbing front or rear? And can i get away with my stock wheel studs in the back? I dont mind a spacer in the rear, but i do still need the truck to perform and be safe, i dont want to sacrifice safety for looks and my truck at any time can have over 2000lbs in the bed, or a 11k trailer on the tongue. Any input?

#3 ·
I don't really have any good input for you, as my truck is lowered.
But my tires are 285/40/24 if that helps lol.

#4 ·
LOL it was worth a try, Like i said right now i got 265's on it, obviously zero issues, i get the impression the results would be the same with the 285's, 305's might be pushing it though... I like the stock 17's, we get snow and crappy weather so low profile tires arent gonna do so well around here... Love your setup by the way

#5 ·
I bet the 305s would fit with spacers, but that's just a guess.

#8 ·
06white, happen to have any pics of your truck with the 255/80/17's? I still havent made a move but my front tires are on borrowed time, none of the tires hold air well (i think the dealership never cleaned the rims so they didnt seal that great). Like i said im looking to fill the wheel well a bit as the truck is leveled. I dont need wider tires and I definitely want to keep the capabilities of the truck, i dont want to sacrifice its usefulness and load capabilities for looks. Im not opposed to spacers but if i can not need a spacer thats cool too LOL. Like i said, the truck currently has 265's on it. It seems the 285/70/17's will fit no issues either. And the 305's might fit with spacers. Anyone else have a tire setup for a dually they care to share? My only hang up is i want to keep the OEM rims

#9 ·
Ok so ive done the math, the oem 245/75/17 are 9.65"WX7.23"T, I currently have 265/70/17 that are 10.43"WX7.3"T with a 1/2" Space between the rears at the bottom. Im looking 285/70/17 which are 11.22" wideX7.85" Tall. So the width difference would be .79," does anyone know of a 3/4" to 1" spacer that could safely be run on this truck or will i be looking at minimum a 1.5" spacer, and if thats the case should i go bigger on the tires? Keep in mind that im staying with the OEM 17" rims

#10 ·
So I'm up in the air between 265 70 17 no spacers, 295 70 17 with spacers, or maybe or 315 70 17 with spacers. Obviously I don't want rubbing of any kind nor do I want to impact load capacity in my dually. Anyone know if a leveled f350 would rub with 295 or 315? And if you run spacers in the rear do you need to run them in the front too? The 295's and 315's were the only other sizes that made a decent impact on height which is what I'm after, no width. Also, does anyone happen to know the biggest width tire I can fit on my factory 16 inch rims?Any input is appreciated

#11 · (Edited)
Try the 255/80/r17 tires, they are basically a 33x10x17 tire they will fill the wheel well up better and won't rub in the rear.

#12 ·
i would love to but the tire i want isnt available in that size. Im looking at the cooper stt pro's.

#13 ·
Bf Goodrich makes the KM2 in that size which is a great tire.

Reactions: mikeb01453
#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
35x12.50 with a 2.5" rear spacer is golden. You're an 05 so you won't rub. Most you'll have to do is zip tie the fender liner back a little.

#17 ·
what are the factory rim sizes for the dually 17x7?

#19 ·
Yeah i believe they were, and thanks for confirming. I want to get the biggest tire on these rims i can as with the tread depth i will likely have these tires for quite a while. What i dont get is the rim width is 6.5 yet the approved rim width for 265/70/17 which is what the truck has now is 7-8.5. I was considering 315/7/17 with wheel spacers in the back but the approved rim width is 8-11 which leads me to believe it wont work. I would someday love to get a nice basic rim set but right now that is off the table with significant house work and an 11 month old, but the tires dont have much life left in them and dont hold air very well... The current tires i have are dynapro ht's 265/70/17 and have a 3/4 gap between the rears. Picking tires is such a pain lol, but i feel inclined to try and fill the wheel wells up a bit.

#20 ·
Im a fan of more tire less rim, i love your setup horizon, looks real good.

#22 ·
Yeah I really like the rims that have a stock look, im contemplating buying black steel rims in a 17x8 size so i can run bigger tires, or even possibly an 18" rim... Cant believe ford has these rims in a 17x6.5, really limits what you can put on for tires. Wouldnt be a big deal if ford didnt have these big wheel wells with training wheel sized tires from the factory lol

#23 · (Edited)
For stock wheels you'll need spacers 100% due to their offset/width . Not sure on the offset/width of his wheels above.

Don't listen to the approved rim width too much. Better to squeeze them then stretch them. I have stock 02 wheels which are 7" wide. I've seen 99-04 duallys with same size tires and their wheels are 6" wide.

I've been running this setup for a year and a half, about 10k-15k miles and love it. Mainly highway driving long distance and have no problem cruising 75mph or going 90+ when I romp on it. In NY people don't like to stay in the right lane so I'm constantly zig zaging through traffic and have no problem with tire flex or pulling. No uneven tread ware either. I keep 50psi all around.

So don't worry about running a 12.50 wide tire, just go with a quality brand. I don't remember if you mentioned it or not but your truck is 4x4 right?

#24 ·
Yeah it's a 4x4, the cooper pros have a good rep so far, and cooper has been good to me in the past. I believe the 295 70 17 are a almost 34 inch tall tire. If that will fit my rim width I'd like to go that route with a spacer

#25 ·
I was comparing tire brands and a lot of 315/70R17's run wide compared to 315/75r16's, a little too wide for comfort.

If it was my truck I would run:

LT285/75R17 Nitto Trail Grappler which is 34x12

35x12.50R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 which is 34.5x12.5

35X12.50R17 Goodyear Fierce M/T which is 34.8x12.5

35x12.50R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R which is 34.8x12.5

Everything else is too small or too wide for my taste. If you're not into those than run a 285/75R17 which most are 34.xx-X-11.xx

For your spacers I would get the Ford F350 2005 and Newer 8 x 200 mm. Steel In-Between Dually Wheel Spacer (2" thick)
from WheelAdapter.com > Wheel Spacers this isn't something you want to cheap out on.

#26 ·
Yeah i saw those spacers and will likely purchase them if i do indeed go bigger. Im going to talk to my local tire shop today hopefully and see if the 295 70 17 will fit my rim safely. If not I am going to stay with the 265 70 17 with no spacer because i just dont have the money for new rims any time soon. if my math is correct, if i ran the 295 70 17 ill get a 33.5 inch tall tire (currently my tires are 30.5 tall), and with 2 inch spacers i should have a gap between the tires of about 7/8" give or take which should be plenty. All hinges on what will fit my oem rim, 285's arent worth the money in spacers for only an additional 1" of height so its 295 or bust LOL. Thanks for the help by the way you have actually taught me alot about tires and rims at this point.

#27 ·
just placed the order for 285 70 17 no spacers, My local tire guy is a cooper dealer, he came out and measured and we are gonna give it a go with no spacer. Worst comes to worst i gotta order a set of spacers, no biggy. Ill post pics with the tires on and let everyone know how I feel about them throughout the life of these tires. Thanks for all those who were helping me!

#28 ·
I have ran 285/75/16 on my 02 dually for years, I have run both with and without spacers they do touch on my truck without the spacers but I never experienced any problems at all. I tow almost every day so it has always had weight on it and I never ever had any trouble with a tire. The worst problem I found with the wider tires is that they seem to wear quicker in the center due to them being a little wider then normal. I hope you enjoy your choice I had a friend that ran them with very good success.

#29 ·
Thats good to hear sambowman, they should be in today so hopefully installed this afternoon but worst case tomorrow. I have an 11 month old so if they touch ill just get spacers, I dont have good luck so if they touch ill likely experience a problem lol so not gonna chance it. Im glad to hear your friend liked the tires, ive ran coopers in the past and really liked them so I am hoping for similar results. At the very least they are mean looking haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.