Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

American Force/Forged Wheel Weight

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Towerstroke 
#1 ·
SO I've literally spent the last 4-5 hours looking at wheels/tires combos for my truck. I upgraded from a gasser to a 2012 F-250 I found with only 12K miles. I got it two weeks ago :)

Anyways, I've been looking at cheaper alternatives to AF wheels. I love them, and forged is of course better, but they are costly.

I was looking at MotoMetal which are about 35 pounds for 20x12 wheels.

Long story short but I have some old bike parts I could probably sell to get some AF wheels if I really wanted to, but I wanted to know exactly how much lighter forged is? Has anyone weighed or found the weight of an AF 20x12 wheel? Could they be into the mid to high 20's per wheel? I'm sure it will vary depending on wheel design, but is it SIGNIFICANTLY lighter where it's worth the extra money?

Like I said, I know forged is known for being "lighter" but are we talking 3-5 pounds lighter vs a cast aluminum? Or should I start to consider selling those bike parts to get the American Force wheels?

#4 ·
they won't be lighter by design but they will be stronger as in crack resistant and porous is not an issue like it can be with cast

American Force sucks an listing specs IMO and also at answering that question
they brag about being the strongest but so far any weight capacity I have been able to find is inline with any other cast rim withing a few hundred lbs

buy what you like IMO unless you need a certain spec met

#5 ·
Thanks for the follow up. Id rather buy MotoMetal because they along with Toyo M/T's are about the same as just American Force wheels. LIke I said, I'm new to diesels so I didn't know how they would be affected due to heavier wheels like my GMC 1500 was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.