Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

BF Goodrich new KO2 has my truck wondering and feeling mushy

12K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  newbstroker0373 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had the BFG LT265 /75 R16 123R E1 RWL on my 2003 F350 and they rode great. I tried the mud terrain once and had to have them replaced right off. They made my truck wonder and float like a white knuckle ride. These new BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 did the same thing but not as intensely as the muds. Disct Tire replaced them with Cooper Discoverer ATP's. It is better but I still have that slight mushy floating feel. What is going on with today's tires? I want the old BFG's but they are discontinued and there is no replacement but the KO2. Disct. Tire has been more than accommodative and they said they will again change out the Coopers but I have no idea what to put on this truck now. The Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 looks just as aggressive as the others. I think it must be the side wall reinforcements on these new tires that are no good for the 16", long wheel base trucks.

What tire will give me a smooth ride in an all terrain on the F350 long bed super duty with 16" tires?

#3 ·
Just give it a couple hundred miles. It will firm up. I just had some toyo at2 put on and they floated for about 200 miles and now they are good.

#4 ·
I have the KO2's and haven't had any issues. I have them inflated to 60 front and rear though.

#7 ·
I will tell you some copper stt are the scariest tire I've ever had. They floated really bad. Either the float goes away or you get used to it.

Reactions: over200
#9 · (Edited)
I just swapped out my old BFG KO for the new KO2 yesterday. The KO2 scared me how bad it wanders and feels like I'm driving on ice. I have put about 150 miles on them and it has improved a lot. I sure hope they start riding more like my old set or I will have to take them back. I checked the psi today and noticed they had set my front tires at 60 and 65 and the rears at 85! I have never had America's Tire set them up like that before. I dropped them all to 55, the same as I usually ran my old ones and it made a huge difference. I hope to take them out in the desert and see how they do.

BTW I run 285/75R16 = 32.8x11.2R16

#11 ·
Correct. I believe it was a combination of the tire pressure and probably mostly the tire mold release agent. I just put another 80 miles or so and hardly felt any squirm at all today.

Here's some information I found on tire racks website explaining the break in period for new tires.

"Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond more quickly. Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.