6.0 Tuner Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Tuner Question

Hi folks. Thanks for a great site. Being new to a f250 Diesel, the site has been priceless.
I have a question regarding the Edge CTS tuner.
I just purchased a 2006 F250 6.0 Diesel. 135000 mile completely stock. EGR and Oil Cooler (no bypass) were replaced at 100,000 miles. All scheduled maintenance has been performed.
In search of better economy, Towing and Monitoring I installed the Edge CTS.
According to Edge, I would just need to test each mode to determine the best fuel economy. The extreme mode is given me 20-21 on the highway. Will normal driving in the extreme mode be detrimental to the 6.0? Head Bolts, head gaskets, premature problems??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is that mileage hand calculated or based on the factory computer?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To determine which mode has the best MPG I've used the following.
1) Factory odometer average MPG
2) I push reset when I get on the interstate for a 15 to 20 mile drive.
Once I determine which one with tuner mode is the best, then I will do a hand calculation. Using the same testing method for all tuner modes will give me a starting point.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the ORG. keep us posted what you find with your mileage experiments. many of us here would like to see mileage increase especially with the summer price rise on the way coupled with the fact it never really dropped for us in the diesel world.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

there is not black or white answer to your question...

tons of guys never blow a headgaske with hot tunes and some blow stock like mine...

read the "monitoring 6.0" under the 6.0 section of forum and check your vitals. if you have a heavy foot say goodbye to your trans soon.

sell it and get an sct tuner the best i get is 13ish town and almost 17 highway but thats stock tuning and pretty good for a big truck id say.

when i ran my hot tunes i couoldnt keep my foot out of throttle long enough to check mpg so i put it back to stock before i got pulled over lol...

you can find used sct tuners cheap here.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM

You will catch a lot of flak on here for having an edge tuner. Way back when they first came out they didn't tune the trans and people haven't updated their memory as fast as edge has updated their tunes. I have had an edge evolution platinum on my truck for 60k+ with no problems. Love it actually. Most of those miles are in extreme and i have a heavy foot. I can get 24 mpg on the highway regularly hand calculated on longer trips. Again, the majority of guys on here will call me a liar cause they don't get that mileage. I don't see any reason you can't drive it in extreme daily. Go through your manual and set it up right. Defuel on shifts, put the right shift points in, do the actual tires measurements you have, etc. Set it up correctly and you shouldn't have any worries.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is your truck head studded? I would consider getting this done before you put a tuner on your truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.