Pre Powerstroke Engines - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitro13
Pre Powerstroke Engines

I'm not sure if I am in the right place,but here goes. I recently acquired a 91 XLT Lariat 7.3 with an ATS Turbo. Does anyone know anything about this setup? I have searched the net , but can't really find any info that goes back to 91. Thanks for any help.
Nitro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 AM
Premium Member

what you have is whats referred to an idi engine which stands for indirect injection, the injectors fire inside of a prechamber in the head where the combustion takes place then travels through a small hole into the cylinder. good motor ive owned a few back in the day but there are some things to know.

First never over heat or over boost them. if i rememmber correctly they run at around 22:1 compression compared to modern day diesels running at around 16-18:1.

there were to versions of the idi engines. 6.9Lidi came first then the 7.3L idi. The 7.3L idi shares absolutely no resemblance to the later 7.3L powerstroke so be very careful when ordering parts. The 7.3l idi was a 6.9 bored out. Since it was bored out the 7.3s had thinner cyliner walls. This became problematic when coolant isnt properly maintained because the thinner cylinder wall start to cavitation around the water jacket.
This vcan be avoided by adding the proper supplements to the coolant.

No start or hard start situations can usuall be traced to air intrusion in the fuel system, usually due to leaky o rings around the injectors.

Even with a turbo you wont be going all that fast but they will always get you from point a to B
Old 12-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nitro13
Thanks for the info. This truck was sitting in a pasture for about five or more years. It is pretty rough but I did get it started and sounds good. Haven't tried to drive it yet but will soon. I couldn't pass it up. I got it for $11.50. That's right eleven dollars and fifty cent. Now I have a beater 7.3 to go with my 95 Powerstroke!
Thanks again,
Nitro13
Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is definitely a super deal. If the rest of the truck is crap you can probably get close to $1k for the complete turbo set up. They don't make the ATS stuff anymore so the parts you have there are worth some $ to some people.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

youll find some more infor at the forums over at oilburners.net, this site is mostly powerstroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.