Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Pre Powerstroke Engines

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ryandamo 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if I am in the right place,but here goes. I recently acquired a 91 XLT Lariat 7.3 with an ATS Turbo. Does anyone know anything about this setup? I have searched the net , but can't really find any info that goes back to 91. Thanks for any help.
Nitro

#2 ·
what you have is whats referred to an idi engine which stands for indirect injection, the injectors fire inside of a prechamber in the head where the combustion takes place then travels through a small hole into the cylinder. good motor ive owned a few back in the day but there are some things to know.

First never over heat or over boost them. if i rememmber correctly they run at around 22:1 compression compared to modern day diesels running at around 16-18:1.

there were to versions of the idi engines. 6.9Lidi came first then the 7.3L idi. The 7.3L idi shares absolutely no resemblance to the later 7.3L powerstroke so be very careful when ordering parts. The 7.3l idi was a 6.9 bored out. Since it was bored out the 7.3s had thinner cyliner walls. This became problematic when coolant isnt properly maintained because the thinner cylinder wall start to cavitation around the water jacket.
This vcan be avoided by adding the proper supplements to the coolant.

No start or hard start situations can usuall be traced to air intrusion in the fuel system, usually due to leaky o rings around the injectors.

Even with a turbo you wont be going all that fast but they will always get you from point a to B

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. This truck was sitting in a pasture for about five or more years. It is pretty rough but I did get it started and sounds good. Haven't tried to drive it yet but will soon. I couldn't pass it up. I got it for $11.50. That's right eleven dollars and fifty cent. Now I have a beater 7.3 to go with my 95 Powerstroke!
Thanks again,
Nitro13

#5 ·
youll find some more infor at the forums over at oilburners.net, this site is mostly powerstroke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.