External coolant filter question 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
External coolant filter question 6.0L

Ive recently purchased a Sinister diesel external filter system for my '05 6.0L. The coolant is only 20k old and I want to know if I should flush it before I install the filter. Ive read that flushing it could clog the oil cooler. Ive got an egr delete with ARPstuds but my oil cooler was not changed when the previous owner had the studs done. It was tested and the screen was cleaned. Should I put the filter on then flush it? I dont want to have to replace the oil cooler which is in good shape. Also what coolant do you guys recommend? Ive heard that the ford gold is garbage.??? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Sometimes flushing the system breaks stuff loose and plugs the oil cooler. I didn't flush mine and have had no problems in 25,000 miles since. I think it has to be your decision, but you should monitor the oil temp. and the water temp. to make sure the deltas don't exceed 15 degrees. That is how you know your oil cooler is plugged. Most highly recommended coolant is one that meets the CAT EC-1 spec. Napa sells Zerex that is a CAT extended life coolant. That is what many run. Hope that helps.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another coolant question

So if I want to change to the zerex G-05 can I just drain my gold coolant and refill with the zerex? I was going to drain the Gold, refill with distilled, run that for an hour, drain the distilled then refill with Zerex and distilled. Will that stir up anything that will plug my oil cooler?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM

I would run as-is with the filter for a few months to get all the solid crap out that you can, before you think about flushing. That way you can minimize the solids that get pushed into the oil cooler during the flush.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Serving On My Terms...

I never saw an answer to the question on if draining the gold and running the zerex was a good idea or fatal mistake? Mine has run gold for 104k and I am going to change over, plus add the coolant filter...should I add the filter, then change the coolant....than flush, or filter, flush, coolant...kinda new, and not sure what order I should run this in. Thanks for any help...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM

I would throw the filter on for sure. But as long as your delta's are within the 15*'s then I would not doing any kind of chemical flush at all. If you just want to do a simple coolant drain and refill that wont hurt anything. But a chemical flush will break all sorts of little junk loose and you will almost for sure clog up your cooler.
I would throw the filter on, replace as the manufacture suggest and then change coolant in 10k. As long as you are monitoring your temps and they are fine I say don't press your luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Serving On My Terms...

That's great info....thank you for the quick look too! I will get the coolant filter in before I change coolant...just in case! The Chemical flush is a spring/summer project, so I should be good...plenty of time! lol as the snow flies again!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 PM

As far as to what coolant, I went down to my local International dealer and told them what I was up to and they had a Cat rated coolant. I don't remember what brand it was/is. But as long as you got that Cat rating you should be okay.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
rhode8pe (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
External coolant filter question 6.0L

1. Go buy 35 gallons of distilled water.
2. Drain coolant from radiator.
3. Remove drain plugs on both sides of the block( a lot of guys install fumoto valves) some guys remove the starter to get the passenger side plug out but I was able to get mine out without having to do so.
4. Re-install all drain plugs.
5. Remove thermostat from housing and re-install housing.
6. Fill with tap water and let It run for 10-15 minutes.
7. Turn truck off and repeat steps 2-4 10 times.
8. Now start filling with distilled and repeat steps 2-4 about 4-5 times.
9. Fill with elc coolant concentrate and distilled water.
Plan on this taking all day but it's worth it to do it the right way. Personally I would pith the filter on first and run it for 3 months then do what I explained. The main thing is making sure the water is clear before you start the distilled water process. Also make sure you have the heater on while the truck is running to get all of the anti-freeze from the heater core and to get all of the coolant back into the system.

Sent from a phone I found at the bar

Last edited by sprksonu; 02-19-2014 at 08:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprksonu For This Useful Post:
rhode8pe (02-20-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

this is a more economical brand of cat coolant i paid $16 a gallon at napa cat wanted $27 a piece lol... its red and sweet smelling

https://www.google.com/search?q=zere...43%3B224%3B296
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
john galt (03-04-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.