Buying Injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to freebass
Buying Injectors

Ford has Diagnosed that 2,6 & 7 are failing on the contribution test and time to head home and change them out. Im looking for input on what you D-Heads think would be the best option on type to use in the type of work I use it for. Pulling 15,000# trailers around the country, Looking at 125,000 miles + this year.
I know that changing them all would be best, but thats not gonna happen. At least not until my bank acount turns from a serious color red back at the least to a fading yellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

D-Heads? If you are not going to change them all out how are you going to consider anything other that a stock type injector?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 AM

I don't know that I would consider that. I do know there are many types and brands of the stock injector. What I am looking for is who to trust and who not to. I know exactly what I would like to use and hope to eventually. But for the here and now, what will work best to get me to that point is what I am trying to make work.
Thanks to this site I am moving forward since taking on this job and diesel conversion from gas back in March. I have put 106,0000 miles on this truck and had repairs done at 4 different Ford dealerships from Colorado to New Hampshire when EGR, Oil cooler issues made me no longer mobile at a cost exceeding $10,000. Each Ford dealership blamed the one before for not fixing the actual issue, None ever did. I refuse to lose!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

A. I'm hoping you now have the egr delete done?
B. There's many reputable rebuilders of injectors. My personal preference, and close to home, is Oregon Fuel Injection. Diesel injector pump, injectors, Powerstroke injectors, turbo and turbo parts for Ford Powerstroke Diesel pickups 6.9 L, 7.3 L, 6.0 L 6.4 L
C. Obviously stay with stock injectors if just replacing 3 of them. And that will commit you to staying with the stock ones.....I can't see tossing out 3 fairly new ones next year if you decide to try different injectors!
D. For what you are doing....(I assume the Hotshot thing)....when the bank account turns black, I'd invest heavily in getting the heads pulled and checked, studs installed, conversion to an ELC coolant, coolant filter and an oil bypass filter.

This is a LOT cheaper to do it yourself if you have the ability. The $10,000 you spent at the dealer was robbery. For far less than half that, you can do all the above in your own garage. If it was me, I'd swap out the 3 injectors right now. Then in about 8 months I'd pull the whole motor, do all the above as well as new rods and mains, seals, oil pump, water pump, the BPD oil cooler/filter kit eliminating the factory one, do the other injectors, all the updates such as turbo supply and drain, blue spring kit, new standpipes and dummy plugs,all hoses. Check the HPOP before digging in...if it's looking like the pressure is getting close to borderline, plan on doing that as well. Then you should be good for a zillion miles.

Note: If the aforementioned Ford dealerships blamed the dealerships for not fixing things correctly, I would use that report in writing to demand a refund. They do warranty the work they do to some extent.....I would push hard...very hard on that one.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Run in to my fist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash15 View Post
D-Heads? If you are not going to change them all out how are you going to consider anything other that a stock type injector?
Is he calling us what you and I think he is calling us? NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What's a d head lol I'm lost!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DIESEL HEAD maybe?????
Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 AM

Well, now at 210+ thousand miles on the truck I too have to call myself a "D" Head and that is Diesel head and not meant an extremity. No insult implied by any means. I have twice now changed injectors. The first was diagnosed at a "Diesel Performance Plus" in Missouri owned and operated by a great guy who scoped the truck for me no charge and recommended that #7 Injector be changed. I did just that and went another 45-50k miles before I felt the demise of another. I took it to Ford in Elkhart Indiana who proceeded to inform me that #2 & #6 were failing quoting me at $1,700 to replace those and the fuel pressure regulator, (this "quote" cost me $120).
I was not confident in the diagnosis and eventually went to a Ford repair shop in the panhandle of Texas who informed me that #2 & #8 were failing, not #6 and showed me the scope. That cost another $97 for the diagnosis. I changed #2 & #8 and that was 60k miles ago. I went back to "Zeigler Ford" in Elkhart IN and confronted them about credit or repayment for the misdiagnosis. Their answer was quite rude and I quote, "Oh well, what you gonna do. That was ten thousand miles ago and we stand by it our Diagnosis". So evidently injector # 6 has re-built its own spool valve. Their have been several misdiagnosis done at Ford dealers across the country, the most absurd was in Colorado who told me the wrench trouble light on my dash was being caused by a faulty thermostat that was stuck open. I subsequently lost the oil cooler in Rapid City, SD.
I finally have found what I think will be the best bang for the buck in software (I hope) to enable me to diagnose injector deterioration from my own garage.
I am thoroughly a Diesel head now. I actually love the 6.0 (once I found what it wanted) just have no respect for the greed of Ford Dealerships throughout the US. I know there out there, but transporting all types of trailers throughout the US as an income, they have proven to be right 1 out of 5. Repair for Diesels as you know is well above that of gasoline, but when you count on and pay for professional service you tend to expect what you pay for.
Hope nobody took offense to the "D" word as I too am a Big "D"......

Powerstroke 6.0 Oil Overflow - YouTube

HICKOK G2 Diesel Injector Tester-45665 at The Home Depot
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Holy expensive software batman. I am not sure if you have bought that from home depot, but I have never heard of it. Doesn't mean that it isn't any good though. I personally have Auto Enginuity Bundles A fair bit cheaper but it may not do everything that you are looking for. Did you ever get the blue spring update? That part of the quote is probably necessary. Check the stickies if you haven't already that will be a lot more help to you than what I have wrote above.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks for that software site. looks like it does just what I want then some with a substantial savings.
By "blue Spring" I'm sure you mean Fuel Pressure regulator. Fuel pressure is not an issue, but I might change to the upgrade later if I have a less than a normal mileage expectancy issue. I've only changed out 3 injectors at this point at 210k miles. Ford injectors are over engineered and under developed with 150-175k mile life expectancy.
Check the "stickies?". Are you referring to "stiction"? I've gone thru several bottles of Rev-x as well as the world famous "Hot Shot Secret". It added about 25-30k extra miles (6-8 weeks worth of jerk free or reduced any way). Bottom line is Fords rushing Navistar to produce before proper R&D placed and left the consumer to flip the bill as they "bragged" about not taking a federal loan to maintain in business. At more than 500,000 warranty claims on the 6.0, Ford dumped the consumer........!
Any way, thats another issue. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
injector buying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.