Wheel Spacers '99 to '02 and '03 to '04 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel Spacers '99 to '02 and '03 to '04

I did a fair amount of research and wanted to make it easier for those with plans like mine. Or basically, I hope this can help...

I have a '99 Super Duty and I am switching my stock rims for 2011 stock rims.

2004 and earlier wheels have different backspacing than all '05 and up wheels, which is the main reason spacers are needed to run newer wheels on older rigs. Also '99 to '02 studs have a M14 x 2.0 coarse thread. '03 and up have M14 x 1.5 fine thread.

To do this(after lift/leveling kit) you need to space the front wheels out 2" so that the tires don't rub on the leaf springs.

It is a wide spread debate on whether spacers are good or not because on wear to the ball joints, bearings, and improper installation or bad wheel spacers. Super duty's have billet hubcentric wheels which means that the wheels center themselves around the hub, or on the spacer there will be a ring to hold the wheel centered on the spacer, as opposed to being lugcentric.

What I am using are 50MM Spacers, with the 8 on 170MM lug pattern, with M14 x 2.0 studs. Doing this you can use your original lug nuts as well. For 2003 to 2004 trucks you just need to get spacers with the M14 x 1.5 studs and it will work just fine. Read the instructions for inspecting the surfaces and torquing and you should be fine with running spacers, even if you are towing.

As far as buying them, I never came across a manufacturer that didn't have billet aluminum or steel parts with studs already pressed into them. There are a lot out there and the internet or local distributors can help you find what your looking for as well. Also, aluminum spacers will be fine for relatively small size tires, but with bigger lifts and serious meats I would feel better running billet steel spacers because of the strength of the steel.

Hope this helps! If I run into problems in the future I will post them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

good info here thanks for the post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Great write up. I just ordered spacers for my dads 7.3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good info. I'm building a set of 2" steel spacers to run '08 wheels on my '02 currently. Just need to find some time to get them on the CNC.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Leveling kit?

I have a 2004 f250 with no lift. To run 20" inch wheels would I need a leveling kit? I have 18" inch wheels right now.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Doesn't matter on rim size. Tire size is what matters

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

So I could run 20"inch wheels no problem as long as I get tires that arent oversized?
Also, what do you know about the 2011 superduty wheels fitting a 2004? Will they work with the right spacers?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
05-2012 wheels have the same offset. Our 6.4 has 275's on a 20" rim and my 6.0 has 265's on 16" rim. I can run a 35" tire with a 2" level, it would be the same if you used a 20" rim, it's still a 35" tire either way

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConJohnRobTx View Post
So I could run 20"inch wheels no problem as long as I get tires that arent oversized?
Also, what do you know about the 2011 superduty wheels fitting a 2004? Will they work with the right spacers?
Yes as far as the spacers go it will be exactly the same as what I did with mine, the only different thing is that the thread pitch for the studs will be a fine thread as opposed to a coarse thread.

Also a quick note on my truck so far; I haven't run into any problems after 5k miles and they don't feel any bit different than my old setup without spacers. The only thing is that you might want to sand down the hubcentric ring on the spacers because it was a very tight fit on my truck, but I would check to see with yours first in case they are not as tight as mine were.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraricaxtu View Post
Yes as far as the spacers go it will be exactly the same as what I did with mine, the only different thing is that the thread pitch for the studs will be a fine thread as opposed to a coarse thread.

Also a quick note on my truck so far; I haven't run into any problems after 5k miles and they don't feel any bit different than my old setup without spacers. The only thing is that you might want to sand down the hubcentric ring on the spacers because it was a very tight fit on my truck, but I would check to see with yours first in case they are not as tight as mine were.
Where did you get your spacers from and how much? If you dont mind me asking. Also what are yours made out of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.