trans problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans problem

i have a 99 f-250 7.3 with the 4r1oo is it possible to change the trans to a 5r110w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM

I'd be interested as well...that's a better trans than the 4R100. If mine ever pukes it would be nice to know if could throw in that 5R110.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Some peoples opinion is that the 4r is better than 5r.

Sent from my DroidX using Autoguide
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Some peoples opinion is that the 4r is better than 5r.

Sent from my DroidX using Autoguide
Ya, but some people also like oranges more than apples. I'm eating an apple right now, but an orange sure sounds tasty.

Just sayin' I wouldnt mind throwing in a 5R110 due to the fact that it has different options than the 4R100. I wouldn't mind having an extra gear for the improved towing conditions and fuel millage, and I can't think of anyone who would turn that option down. Sure the 4R100 has been in service longer than the 5R110 and we may know more about it due to its extensive history over the 5R110, but that doesn't mean it is better.

There are reasons why manufacturers change things and force them into evolution. If there is something to be improved upon, then improve it. Otherwise "if something works, don't change it".

Ford saw the opportunity to add an extra gear, along with a few other things for added strength, reliability, and efficiency and they took it.

Transmissions are sensitive, and should you lack maintenance on this piece of equipment you are going to get poor results. So to say that the 4R100 is more resilient or bulletproof in comparison to the 5R110 (or vise-versa) would be a false statement. You take care of either of these transmissions and properly maintain them, you're going to get good results and long life for the most part.

Not starting any arguments over what transmission is better. Every piece of equipment has it's niche in an particular application. The 4R100 is a good transmission, I have it in my truck and have no serious issues with it as of now (knock on wood).

Just trying to get this thread going with some serious talk...lets hear it
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM

well I can say the 4R100 dose not like the mud that much. an excavator dumped a big pile of mud in the middle of the mud pit i was trying to go through with out leveling it out. I hit it and my truck just stopped and I smoked my tranny trying to push through and had to get it rebuilt but other than that i have not had any other problems with it
Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Hot rod 38) first look into John Wood automotive he has a tow Trans that he puts a lot of new parts in it nothing used or rebuilt,he machines most of the parts100% good work goes into these Trans and he will back it up it'll cost you around 5,800'00.check out is web. Page and check the reviews . I put one in my 02 f-350 and it pulls my Montana 5th wheel 16 tho.lbs trailer with a breeze so do your home work first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.