FUBAR Leaking oil and white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What is This? Everything you wanted to know about the TECH Exchange

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FUBAR Leaking oil and white smoke

I have a 2004 Ford 6.0L that died while driving a couple days ago. The
engine all of a sudden quit and when I tried cranking it felt like it
was hydrolocked. I let it set for awhile and tried cranking again and
it would start up but with excessive white smoke and oil leaking out
of the turbo into the exhaust. It will run for about a minute and stall, then I go through the whole process over again. When it runs the leak is terrible, it will dump 2-3 cups of oil out onto the florr in the munute or so it will run. I posted another thread before this where I thought it was the FICM. I got one from swamps and I get voltage now and it fixed the problems with me blowing the 50A fuse. I think I might have shorted the original one out when I checked for voltage originaly. So back to square one! I have replaced the ICP sensor, checked and cleaned the IPR screen, checked the IPR and found there was a bad o-ring, and nothing has result from any of this. Since, I have taken of the turbo and found that the oil and white smoke are coming out of the y-pipe. the codes I am getting now are (P0671 GPCM Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit Circuit open, short to ground, short to voltage, faulty glow plug).
The only thing I can think of is that the o-rings on the injectors are shot which is allowing oil into the cyclinder resulting in the hydrolock symptom. I'm getting real burned out with this now after 14+ hours of research and work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

O I forgot, the trucks engine is made in april of 04. I have a sinister egr delete, it's ARP studed, and 4" exhaust all the way back. Has 149,XXX miles.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my best guess is oil leak at the turbo allowing oil into the intake. is there oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually the oil that spils on the ground when the truck is running has a greenish tint to it. When i first seen it I thought it was coolant. and the coolant in the coolant bottle look brown not green, but I'm not sure if thats normal or not. I have done the ARP heads and egr delete but I'm still not very familiar with the 6.0L. I did have the pipe off that connects the turbo to the intercooler and still had the problem so I'm not sure how oil would get in.

Last edited by cfike; 06-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The coolant should be gold colored. If it is brown, you have oil in the coolant, which is likely from a ruptured oil cooler. I would also guess that your white smoke is the result of a failed EGR cooler.

PS. Quit throwing parts at the problem or you will end up frustrated and broke. Post up your symptoms and ask folks for help. Best of luck!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a ERG delete kit on and replaced the oil cooler both installed at 135,xxx miles. I didn't think that there was still a EGR cooler after it was deleted. The oil cooler could definatly be the problem with the oil and coolant mixing. The only problem is I can't figure out how the oil/coolant is blowing out the y-pipe or getting into the cylinder. This is getting so confusing I'm wondering if I have more than one issue.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Slacker

It depends on the type of delete kit that was installed. If it was just a block off plate, the EGR cooler is still there, just not flowing any exhaust gases. The oil could leak out the y-pipe if your turbo journal bearings were leaking badly enough.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I see what you mean. Mine is a block off plate and cooler delete. I just did a test where the turbo was off and I had the oil that goes to the turbo going into a jug(fills up quick!). I started it up and the oil/coolant(liquid) is coming out of the exhaust/y-pipe. So this rules out the turbo. I think that the oil cooler could have ruptured and that is causing the coolant and oil to mix but I still can't figure out how it would be getting into the cylinder. Still the only code I am getting is P0671.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfike View Post
Ok I see what you mean. Mine is a block off plate and cooler delete. I just did a test where the turbo was off and I had the oil that goes to the turbo going into a jug(fills up quick!). I started it up and the oil/coolant(liquid) is coming out of the exhaust/y-pipe. So this rules out the turbo. I think that the oil cooler could have ruptured and that is causing the coolant and oil to mix but I still can't figure out how it would be getting into the cylinder. Still the only code I am getting is P0671.
If your EGR cooler is also ruptured, it can leak into the intake manifold and into the cylinders when the intake valves open. This is a serious issue and should be addressed immediately. I wouldn't drive the truck until you can get this issue fixed.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

do the 6.0s have the whole ccv into the intake thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.