Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2012 6.7 Fuel Issues

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jsvaughn 
#1 ·
Hello everyone and thanks for a great site. I own a 2012 6.7 with 25k miles and have never had an issue until yesterday. During a 300 mile round trip my display showed "change fuel filter soon". I also started to notice an unusual noise coming from towards the back of the cab on the driver side. I now think this was the fuel pump working against the fuel filter issue. Towards the end of the trip once again I got the same display and soon afterwards the display showed "reduce power" and almost immediately the engine lost power and we ended up on the side of the road. Being it was after hours on a Friday evening I had the truck towed to my house. I replaced both the DFCM filters. I followed the "purge" instructions in the owners guide but have had no luck in getting this thing to start. I failed to fill the filter bowl with fuel which would have help illuminate some air. At first you could tell there was a lot of air in the system. Now it seems to be less and less but I still cannot get it to start. Here is what I have done. Any help will be appreciated.
1. Replaced both fuel filters. Arrows line up and tab is against stop.
2. Followed purge instructions many times over.
3. Checked fuel shut-off reset. No issues
4. I have a 50 gal. Aftermarket fuel tank which replaced the factory tank. At the time this occurred I was down to 1/8 fuel level. Since I have filled it to halfway. No change.
5. I am now charging the batteries. Should I disconnect the batteries? Will this reset anything?

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I understand once a truck de-rates (reduced power) you will most likely need help from the dealer for the IDS to truly reset things. I have a MAC Taskmaster which is a decent tool and it is still limited on what it can do with Ford specific DTC's.

Any updates on it?

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I reposted on the 6.7 engine forum site after I realized it would better fit my issue. My high pressure pump failed and trashed my fuel system. The dealer is blaming in on contaminated fuel. I inspected the parts they removed yesterday and agree. I have filed on my insurance and am waiting their response. The repairs are going to run $8k. We did about 2,500 miles traveling out of state last month and I think I picked up some bad fuel. I have a 50 gal. Titan tank. I told my Ford dealer that I am upset I never got a "water in fuel" or "low fuel pressure" indication. The Ford technician told me those systems don't always work that well. So I hope my insurance will cover the repairs. I am already planning to add an additional filter/water separator system after I get it back.

#5 ·
My hpfp went out on my 6.4 at 197,000 miles. I too have filed a claim, its good I maintained the ins policy even though the trucks paid for. You say your job at the dealer is 8,000 Mine is 8,900, Around here the dealer charges over 10,000 for the fuel system I was told for your motor? A friend of mine has a lawsuit with ford right now over the same issue. It seems Ford doesn't warrant there fuel systems, they blame it on you.

#6 ·
There should be a class action lawsuit against Ford. I have a friend who had a 2011 6.7 and his did the same thing last year. They were out of state towing a 5th. Wheel trailer. Roger didn't bother to have his fixed. He had already gone through the radiator ordeal and lost that one also. He purchased a new Dodge 3500 with the Cummins, hooked up to his trailer and continues on with his trip. I only have 25k on mine. I would like to get a few more years out of it. I'm waiting to see what call my insurance makes. I have always been a Ford man. We had three Expeditions prior to replacing the last one with a BMW X5. I got perturbed with the last one after a 100k mile tune up cost me nearly $2k for a spark plug change. We had the 5.4 Triton engine susceptible to breaking spark plugs when removed. I don't think I will ever buy another Ford. I currently own 4 Mustangs. The last purchase was the 2013 Boss 302. I think it will be the last!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.