Is this trailer too big for my trucks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is this trailer too big for my trucks?

I came across this trailer today and I am thinking about getting it but I have some concerns. It is a Hooper 24' (20+4) dual tandem with electric brakes on both axles. The axles are 8 lug but they have 5" tubes I don't know exactly what capacity they are 10-12k lbs im guessing. The trailer has an ID tag but its faded and I can't make out any numbers. Has a break away system, all the tires are good. A similar trailer on the big tex site is 5900lbs.

My trucks are listed in my sig, when I tow I carry a skid steer that's 6000lbs plus attachments that are from 1-3k more. I also carry trucks from time to time when I find deals on parts trucks.

My trailer now is a 14' with dual 5200lb axles. It gets the job done but its tight. I can barely haul the skid steer with the backhoe on it, and a reg cab long bed truck really pushes it. I have done it several times but its a pain to have to take the ramps off.

What I want is to be able to haul a 4 door long bed truck if I had to and not have to take ramps off. Also would be nice to have room for the skid steer and a couple attachments.

Is this trailer too big for my trucks to haul? Would the tongue height be too high? I figured I'd need airbags. I have seen these trucks haul a lot but seems like most of them are goosenecks.

Thanks for any input.

Current trailer

Even the jeep is tight on it

Trailer in question

Last edited by Shadowfax; 07-14-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your truck will haul it, but gcwr is 20k on the obs, bags would be ideal, you need to find out how it looks hooked up to determine if the tongue is going to be to much, unless you know the tongue weight, but I would hook it up and see where she lands, I haul a 24' enclosed one now
Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 PM

yeah I'm going back to look at it this weekend and I will see if I can hook it up and see what it does. I wouldn't mind putting airbags on both trucks, my neighbor gave me 2 viair 450c compressors that have been sitting in the shop for too long. If I get it I don't plan on hauling anything crazy heavy just want to have the option.

Need to sell my trailer first.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM

I've actually got my 24' enclosed for sale/trade + looking for a smaller one to haul cars on myself, just don't need as much as I have rite now, but I haul lowered (at least low to the ground) vehicles sometimes too

Btw there is a gooseneck on craigslist here has dual axle (mobile home however) and not sure on ramps but it's about 24-28ft long tho if that tickles your fancy

(I notice your not to far from me is why I say)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM
the baconator

i think you're on the right track, hook up and see where it sits. try bring your equipment with you and see if the owner will let you load it up like you would. i used to tow a triple axle 10 ton trailer with my truck. i didn't like it then again i didn't have airbags back then. i would look into a GN setup, but that's me. i also don't worry about ratings as much as some people
Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Gooseneck would be cool but for the price I think this one is a deal. A guy is supposed to be getting my trailer tomorrow, we will see what happens.

Either way I want at least a 20' trailer with 7k axles. My 14' one is great for firewood and moving small things but its so limited. If I had the money I'd have both. Would be nice to have a big and a small one.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I used to pull a trailer just like that at work except it was a tilt instead of a dove tail. They are kinda heavy empty but are tough as nails. We used it in the oil field hauling 4 jersey barriers at a time weighing 4k each, backhoes, bob cats, and sheeps foot rollers. I've towed it with a 05 Chevy 2500 gasser and a 06 550. You will be fine but I do recommend air bags because the Chevy squated pretty bad. But it also had a heavy flat bed and had tons of tools.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I also pulled it with a 05 f350 drw and it pulled it really good and didn't squat to bad. It was also a flat bed full of tools.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM

How much is the deal if ya don't mind me asking? I see GN's in about the same condition (looks at least) between 1200-5500
Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 AM

He wants $1800. I figure worst case I should be able to get my money back out of it if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.